• Will in favour of both wives

My father has passed away. for the past 15 years, he practiced bigamy. He married my mother 30 years ago and married another lady 15 years ago. he would change his stay with either of them in the last 15 years. we are hindu.

there is a registered will that he had made. i dont have it but i have understood that he has given 50% property to my mother i.e. the first wife and remaining 50% to second wife. 

i understand that legally a hindu can not marry twice but can he still give a major part of his property to his second wife? if not wife than can he still give it to her, not as a wife but as anyone else?

he has made documents to prove that his second wife is the first wife but can he really make a will in her favour?
Asked 1 year ago in Property Law from Greater Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
1) testator can bequeath his property to whom soever he pleases 

2) he can bequeath his property to both his wives

3) no doubt the second marriage is illegal but your father could bequeath 50 per cent of his property to her 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46645 Answers
2759 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

First check the nature of proeprty.
if it is ancestral proeprty then he can not give it to second wife.
However he can give his self acquired proeprty to his second wife.
So Will is valid as far as second wife is concerned.
In absence of Will his second wife could not have inherited an single penny from your father.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13119 Answers
174 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

if the property is his self acquired property then he can execute a Will in her favor and as the Will is registered then now that Will can not be challenged.

Feel Free to Call
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4875 Answers
224 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If it was his own property your father can dispose the same in any maner and to anyone of his choice and desire.
The question is not about bigamy but it is about the testamentary disposition of his own properties.
There is no legal infirmity in his will by which he has bequeathed his properties between his two wives equally.
The problem will arise only if he had died intestate. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36776 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer