• Can I get college TC after first year without paying full course fee

Dear Lawyers,

My brother In-law was admitted in Farah Institute Of Technology, Chevala Hyderabad for B.Tech Petroleum Engineering in 2015. He has completed his 1st year, however had failed in most subjects with 16 grades out of 54 due to which as per university norms he needs to be detained back in 1st year. 
We had requested for his TC and originals of 10th & 12th certificate citing reason that due to financial constraints we are unable to continue his education further. The college officials are now demanding for the entire course fee to be remitted in order to execute our request.

I wanted your expertise opinion if it is legally possible to get the TC without remitting the entire course fee, if yes how long will this procedures take.

Nishant Philip
Asked 1 year ago in Civil Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
you are not bound to pay entire course fees

2) college cannot refuse to grant TC because full course fees not paid . 

3) college is bound to return your original certificates 

4) complain to university regarding college refusal to return original certificates and furnish TC 

5) you can lodge police complaint against college under section 406 of IPC for refusal to return original certificates 

6) you can also move consumer forum against college for its refusal to return original documents and seek orders to return Original certificates and pay compensation 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46916 Answers
2775 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What do the rules say with respect to the refund and TC? The institute cannot seek the fee for the academic session which has not commenced as on the date of intimation by the student that he will be discontinuing further studies. Issue a lawyer's notice to the institute to return the originals, and if they do not do so then a suit for mandatory injunction may be filed against it,
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The college cannot demand the fee  for entire course of study by the student. 
Actually, when the college decides to detain the student in the same class,they should take the opinion of the student/parent whether to make the student wishes to continue in the same class or wold like to take TC with remarks 'failed', the college cannot demand fee for the entire course to give TC nor it has the right to retain the educational certificates of the student for any reason.
The matter may be taken up with the registrar of the concerned university to which the college is affiliated  or a lawyer's notice may be issued to the college authorities condemning the attitude of the college management and demand the return of certificates and TC.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37112 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer