• Seller responsibility in car sale

I sold my car 4 months back to a friend. He has paid me the amount agreed for the transaction but he has transferred the car in his name yet. I don't want to get in trouble if he meets up with an accident or any illegal issue with the car. What can i do so that i am no longer legally responsible for the car.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
was payment received by cash or cheque ? RTO Form Number 29, 30 are considered Sale Transfer Forms. This needs to be signed by both Seller and Buyer with 2 Copies required.
send a letter to RTO where your car was registered informing them that you have sold the car and  handed over original papers of car to purchaser
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
50932 Answers
3030 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Get the name of the registered owner changed in RTO by filling up the above forms as quickly as possible. There are a number of laws which hold the registered owner of a vehicle responsible in various circumstances.

Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
33 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

if you have taken Form no.29 and 30 from the purchaser, then a take a copy of the same and make a letter to the concerned RTO by stating that the car was transferred in to their name and you have already taken Form No.29 and 30.
Ananth Kumar
Advocate, Bangalore
122 Answers
61 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer