• Family members falsely alleged in 498a and DV

My brother's wife falsely alleged all family members, she wants to settle abroad, and brother does not have enough money for that, she blackmail to sell property or get jailed, socially that case would kill all our prestige, my parents have disowned them 2yrs back. but she was clever enough entered home verval sorry, and not in written. she left her home ten days back with her parents with local cops, now she is threatening with help of women cell of her state, should all members alleged attend meeting at police station on a mobile phone call, they had love marriage 3yrs back, have 2yrs daughter, i also have 2 daughters n on maternity leave, her parents had not attended any marriage ceremony,baby's birth ceremony, but now a days they are interfering in matter to withdraw money,what should we do,should we pay the money?as the people guide us to be saved from harassment? should we fight the case? can the case effect my government service? We all are in big terror. Kindly help.
Asked 6 years ago in Criminal Law from Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh

Dear Querist

you should fight the case, contact a lawyer personally

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
5590 Answers
264 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If she has already filed a case under section 498a and DV ,case cannot be closed as it is.Therefore you will have to fight it out.If she is only threatening don't respond or file for with police.

Anil Gupta
Advocate, New Delhi
180 Answers
41 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


In case you are in government service and a criminal case is instituted against you then it may affect your service. Sometimes the department suspends a person in case they stay behind bars for more than 48 hours. But in family disputes, the department is often considerate.

However, you being the sister in law, there is not much to worry. It is better to settle such disputes through amicable settlement but that does not mean that you succumb to their unreasonable demands. You must contact a local lawyer immediately who can take prompt action in case any criminal case is instituted against you and your family members.

You can apply for an anticipatory bail or even for a quashing petition before the High Court if an FIR is lodged against you.



Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
36 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer