• Father's surname incorrect in my documents and ID

In MY documents and ID proofs like class 10,12 marksheet, PAN and passport, the surname of my father has a slight spelling mistake,(Roy misspelled as Ray). All my documents have the same mistake consistently, right from school certificates to passport, and so it never caused a problem at interviews or job applications. My own name and DOB are fine.

But I am afraid that after getting a government job, problem may arise during police verification if they say I lied about my parent's name and submitted faulty documents and my candidature might be cancelled. So, instead of correcting every document of mine, if my father gets a legal name change through gazette notification to match his name with the minor mistake in my documents, will it be OK and legal?
Asked 4 months ago in Civil Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
You can explain it was a typographical error as instead of Roy word Ray was written 

2) you can submit affidavit to that effect 

3) yiur father can change his nane by notification in official gazette if he so desires 

Your worries are unnecessary.

The name Roy or Ray is not a problem.

The police will be verifying only your particulars and not your father's name or surname or any other family name.

Since all your documents have the same spelling as 'Ray' it cannot be said that you have given any wrong information.

The verification pertaining to your documents alone will be verified and not anything related to your father.

If your father changes his name now then only it will attract the sore eyes because the wrong spelling till now can be ignored as spelling mistake whereas if goes for a change now then it can be said tht it was deliberately done earlier.

In my opinion, it will be better that you dont raise an issue which is actually not existing.

What is the reason to find that this name is wrong?

As opined earlier, your fears are unnecessary

By calling one on some name is different to that of the name found in the record.
1) mere affidavit may not suffice . if it was typographical error you should have pointed out the error and got it rectified by the school board . 

2) better your father name should be changed by publication in official gazette and 2 local newspapers
1.  If your father changes the spelling of  his title then it will be effective  from the date of his affidavit whereas you have mentioned his said spelling of title since inception in your educational records,

2. To be legally perfect, you should execute an affidavit affirming that wrong spelling of your father's title hass been mentioned in your educational certificates,

3. The said affidavit shall have to be affirmed before a 1st Class Judicial Magistrate and after the affirmation write to all your appropriate educational authorities to make changes ion their records about the spelling of title of your father and reissue the certificates to you after incorporating the correction.
1. The change of spelling of title by your father now will not help you as clarified in my earlier post,

2. Affirm the fact under affidavit as suggested earlier.
Secondly, as Mr.Kalaiselvan earlier mentioned, they will be verifying credentials using my documents which are consistent. If the question of my father's actual surname comes up at all, can't my father just execute a "one and the same person" affidavit, along with newspaper advert mentioning the same?

This type of an affidavit can help you to come out of the crisis, if at all there arises one 
once father name  is changed by gazette notification there would not any inconsistency in surname  and  actual surname and the surname in your certificates 
Any error in any document of identity/residence or educational certificate should be got rectified at the earliest possible opportunity as it more often than not snowballs into a migraine. During the background check the discrepancy is likely to catch the attention of someone, and then it will spell trouble for you. So apply now to the concerned department to rectify the error. You may even have to go to court to seek appropriate orders but it will be worth the time and money spent,
You do not have to change your name, but you should apply to the competent department to rectify the error in your concerned documents. 
The change of name by your father through a gazette publication will be prospective and not retrospective, so it is not the solution. I repeat that unless you are sure that you will sail through in any of the objections that may be made at the time of background check you should apply for rectification of the errors.
1. Your father can not change his name through gazette notification. He has to affirm under affidavit before a 1st class Judicial Magistrate about any error in his title which he carried for such a long time. If he just changes his name by Gazette notification, his said change will be effective from the date of the notification whereas the date of your certificates bear much earlier date. His old name will cease to exist from that particular date when he will release the notification not before that date,

2. So, while scrutinising your records, this discrepancy may be detected by the concerned authorities which may go against you since UPSC authorities are very strict in this regard.