• House owner not returning advance deposit


As per the rental agreement we are entitled to pay Rs. 22,000/- only ,  this is one month rent on leaving for all expenses like minor repairs , cleaning and painting.

Our house owner is trying to renovate his house from scratch and is charging us Rs. 60,000/- .
He has done painting of Rs. 26,000/- and is not ready to share the expenses.

Also he has done lot of other work like plumbing in which we were not involved in most of things.

We lived there for 2.5 years.

Can you please help us how to resolve the issue.

Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1) you are bound by terms of your agreement 

2) if as per terms you are liable to pay only Rs 22000  licensor cannot recover Rs 60000 from you 

3) if he refuses to return your security deposit issue legal notice to licensor 

4) file summary suit to recover your SD
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44243 Answers
2568 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Issue  a lawyer;'s notice to him to refund the security deposit, and if he does not do so then a suit may be filed against him to recover the amount with interest and compensation for mental agony,
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What is the amount of deposit lying with the  house owner as advance?
If you have agreed for one month rent amount towards the painting or other expenses while leaving the house, and if the same is found as condition mentioned in the  rental agreement, yo dont have to pay more than that until and unless if there was any major damage to the property due to your tenancy occupation.
If he refuses to return the genuine amount after statutory deduction, you may issue a legal notice to the house owner to return the same immediately within 7 days from the date of receipt of the said legal demand notice.
If he still fails to comply with the demand made, you may proceed with the recovery suit through civil court.
Before that ascertain the damages including repainting expenses from your own sources so that you can create a platform for argument.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34406 Answers
368 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer