• Divorce pending : Can my husband stop me from travelling overseas

Respected Lawyer,

I am in the middle of divorce case with my husband.
I am looking to travel overseas for pursuing one year masters degree.
Is there a possibility or any law by which my husband can stop me from travelling?

Please advise.

Asked 1 year ago in Family Law from Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Religion: Hindu
1) you are at Liberty to travel abroad 

2) you don't need your husband consent to travel abroad 

3) your husband cannot stop you from traveling abroad 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
36400 Answers
2020 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Neither husband nor wife stop the spouse from travelling aboard only because divorce suit is pending.
Even pendency of criminal case is no automatic bar on foreign travel.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
9892 Answers
119 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no restrictions to travel overseas while there is a civil case pending against you.
Legally your husband cannot stop you from travelling abroad at least for this reason.
Illegally he may try to thwart your attempt  or plan.
Then you can approach police for his illegal act agaisnt you.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
26340 Answers
265 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A divorce proceeding is not criminal in nature, so you are free to travel to and even relocate abroad. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
21587 Answers
577 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a Lawyer