• Need details on call off of marriage engagement

Sir/Madam, I got engaged in the month of Dec-15. I felt that their family member’s behaviors are very rude and threatened. Hence I and my family members informed to girl's family stating that we are not interested to proceed it further in the month of Jan-16. Since then they are threatening to me and my family members to marry the engaged girl. I am working in PSU Company and I am worried about my present job. I confirm that we have not exchanged any form of gifts including engagement rings. I have spoken to the girl only 4 times after the engagement and stopped responding to their calls from Jan-2016. We had sent a letter to nearby Police station in turn they too fired my parents and my brother in front of girl's family and forced my parents to withdraw the letter. Now they are (Both Girl’s family and police) threatening that they will file a case against me and arrest if I am not meeting girl's family within 10 days from 01.07.2016. I am working in other place which is around 900KM from my place.
My doubt is, 
1. Is there any possibility of affecting my present job position or suspension if they file any case on me? And what are precautions I need to take to prevent this
2. What will happen if I proceed to marry other girl immediately because I am afraid that they will threaten me to marry if I visit my place as they are highly influenced family both politically and financially. I am a differently abled person (Locomotive disability). They have made all arrangements for registered marriage once if I visit my place.
Please guide me on this what are the steps I need to take immediately before it become an issue and to prevent from escalating this matter to my employer which may affect my present position.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bagalkot, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1. I do not find the chance of affect on your job. Since it is pure case of cancellation of job without involving other issues like dowry exchanges or physical relationship made between you, lodging of complaint against you is unlikely.
2. For the time being do not immediately go for another marriage. Let the dispute boil down. Your marriage with another lady may bruise their rgo further and aggravate the situation,
Wait for 6-7 months least.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12502 Answers
160 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Engagement does not bind you to marry the person whom you are engaged to. You can cancel the marriage. If any gifts have been exchanged then they should be returned.

2. A misdemeanour such as filing of a criminal complaint against you by them cannot be ruled out. You should apply for and obtain anticipatory bail as and when this happens so that your job remains safe.

3. You are free to marry anyone.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22963 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you cannot be forced to marry the girl against your wishes

2) you are at liberty to call off engagement and marry some other lady 

3) return all gifts received 

4) if any  false case is filed contest case on merits 

5)record all calls of girl family

6) you would not lose your job if any case is filed . 

7) you can obtain AB if case of dowry harassment is filed 

8) you can marry another girl
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44208 Answers
2562 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.  Firstly the girl side cannot file any case agaisnt you including cheating.  You can keep the copy of the letter communicating your decision to cancel the marriage in a secured place if you have already sent them any.  If you have not communicated your decision to cancel the marriage as to yet, you may do it even now by sending the communication by registered post with ack card. You need not worry about the police threats, you may approach the district superintendent of police with a complaint against the local police to not to interfere in the matrimonial disputes and not to force you to accept the girl against your wishes and interest. If they stil harass, you may approach the state human rights commission with a petition for  violation of human rights agaisnt the concerned police/inspector.

2.  If you feel that you will not be able to confront them and tackle their attacks you may either take the help of friends and close relatives to protect you or you do not return to your native until you get married to another girl away from this place.
You need not have concern about this matter being escalated to your employer.  You have not done any crime agaisnt employment nor have done any offence with the girl by canceling the marriage.  You may inform your management that this is a personal issue hence not to entertain any communication from the girl's side if at all they receive any complaint agaisnt him from their side in this regard. You may inform your management the facts and the details and the reasons that why you have decided to cancel the marriage and the situation you are facing under which you are being forced to marry her agaisnt your wishes.  This will help you to protect your employment interests as well. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34366 Answers
368 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer