• 1 Acre Agricultural land buy in Karnataka (Ellemala, Hanur)

- I am from West Bengal and my mother owns an Agricultural land in West Bengal.

- Last year the maximum annual income requirement has been increased from 2 lakhs to 25 lakhs and our cumulative earning is less than that. 

- I am a freelancer and my mother is a Government officer in West Bengal. I am looking to buy the land in Hanur, Karnataka to do forest farming. 

- Should I be eligible to buy the land? If not, is there a way out like asking for permission from the District commissioner or so? Or form an NGO or so?
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from Goa Velha, Goa
Religion: Hindu
A farmer can buy an agriculture land in Karnataka easily without much hassles than compared to non agriculturist. Though the norms have been eased now under the latest amendment  to karnataka land reforms act, still one finds tough situation for a non agriculturist to buy agricultural land due to the lethargy and hostile attitude of the officials in the department competent to grant sanctions.
You can very well go ahead with the purchase of the agriculture/farm land in your name itself.  A real estate agent may be able to get you through all the formalities in this regard on payment of service charges to him and meeting other requirements.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36786 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If your father were an agriculturist then you are falling in line with him whereas I doubt if your mother's status would enable you to become an agriculturist especially if you have not indulged in any agricultural activities in your mother's agricultural lands. 
However you can apply on that basis with a claim for buying agricultural land as and agricultural descendant, let us see what and how the authority rejects your application quoting which law, which can be challenged on the basis of gender equal law in this regard.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36786 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) for purchase of agricultural land annual income limit has been raised from Rs 2 l;akhs to Rs 25 lakhs 

2) section 79 A prohibits purchase of agricultural land by any person or family who have  annual income of more than Rs 25 lakhs from non agricultural sources 

3) the amendment empowers deputy commissioners of districts, instead of assistant commissioners, to grant permission for non-agriculturists to purchase agricultural land under Section 80 of the Act.
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46645 Answers
2759 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, If your income is less then 25 lacks in the financial year then you are eligible to buy a land in  Karnataka you need not required to get permission from the DC.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer