• Correction of name in marriage certificate

My maiden name is Gunjan Agarwal n my husband's name is Vishal Gupta. We got married on 15 jan 2012  in Lucknow n my name on M.Certificate is written as Gunjan Gupta.
Can it be corrected to Gunjan Agarwal as i wish to continue with my maiden name. And for my passport reissue, i need my M. Certificate, and the authorities are insisting that name has to be corrected on M.certificate else they will change it on my passport
How much time the process can take
Please advice.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Religion: Hindu
1) you have to  apply to marriage registrar office for correction of name in marriage certificate

2) it should not take more than a month 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46645 Answers
2759 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

For changing your name in the passport after marriage, you should use annexure D format affidavit. 
However you want to change the or correct the name in the marriage certificate  which contains the name after marriage.
You  have make a representation to the marriage registrar's office where the marriage was registered stating that your maiden name is .... and you want to retain the same name in the marriage certificate after marriage too.
The name given in the application for registration of marriage was erroneous and given by oversight or anxiety, hence the name may be corrected in the marriage certificate and the maiden name itself may be mentioned.
If the marriage registrar refuses to make corrections in the marriage register quoting the existing rules that do not permit him to make any amendments after it has been registered, get his reply in writing and you may approach court with a suit agaisnt the registrar seeking direction to amend the name in the marriage registrar and declare the same  by issuing fresh marriage certificate.
Notarised affidavit shall not be entertained by passport authorities, hence you may go legally on this issue. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36786 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The name cannot be changed on the matriculation certificate unless the change has been necessitated due to an error. In your case it was a conscious decision to have your husband's surname as your surname on the matric certificate, hence not an error. So it cannot be changed now.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23092 Answers
639 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer