• Getting back certificates from University

Due to medical reason (mental problem) , My nephew who was doing BDS in Maharashtra had to leave the course after 1st year as even doctor advised him not to continue the course. 

When we went to collect the certificates from college, College is asking for full course fees to return certificate. 

Please advise what can be done. We believe it is not fair on their part to ask for full fees for 5 years if student had to leave course due to such circumstances.
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Surat, Gujarat
1) file police complaint against the college for criminal breach of trust under section 406 of IPC 

2) college cannot retain student c certificates 

3) you are not bound to pay full course fees 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44303 Answers
2572 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is extortion. Issue a legal notice to university to return the certificates forthwith, and if this does not produce the desired result then move the High Court to seek binding directions to the university.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

He should first give a requisition in writing stating that he is discontinuing his studies owing to his medical ailments and he should produce photocopies of the medical certificate advising him to discontinue the studies. 
He should get a reply in writing about the refusal to return the certificate until full course fee is paid, then he can initiate legal action by first issuing a legal notice and then through court of law for retrieving the certificates held by the college, before that he can even approach the university registrar for intervention and relief.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34455 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer