Here are the list of documents you require for transfer of ownership of car. The documents are pretty much consistent for all the states throughout India. All the documents need to be handed by the seller to the buyer of the car.
Certificate of Registration (RC) card of the car.
Certificate of Taxation (CT).
Declaration of selling the car.
Copy of Existing Insurance Policy.
Transfer of ownership and No Objection Certificate (NOC). Here are the documents you need:
– Form 28: Form of No Objection Certificate.
– Form 29: Form of Transfer of Ownership.
– Form 30: Application for intimation or report of transfer of motor vehicle.
The original owner (Transferer) who is selling the car, must inform the RTO with which the car was registered about this transfer, by sending a letter with information about the new owner (Transferee) within a period of 14 days. In case the new owner falls in jurisdiction of another RTO, then the owner has to inform that RTO by sending a similar letter. On receiving an acknowledgement of receipt of the letter from the RTO, the seller (Transferer) is indemnified of all legal, tax, traffic, criminal and other liabilities pertaining to the car.
1. If the insurance is still in the seller’s name, then the buyer will not get the claims paid in the time of need.
2. If the transfer of ownership is not completed, then if there are any legal offence involving the vehicle, the person on whose name the vehicle is registered at the time of the incident, may be held liable.
So in a nutshell all the insurance and other documents should be in the new owner’s name.