• Water connection and electric connection

Can a person who is not the owner of a house, get an electric and water connection in his or her name. The person in question is an unauthorized occupant of the house. His father was the caretaker of the property but after his death he and his family has taken over the whole house and property and since then the property has been sold also, but the new owners also have not been able to get them out and hence have left the property as is where is. 

Please advise. And if the electric and water connection are not legally allowed accept to the actual owners then what action can be taken to get the water and electric department to remove the connections which they have wrongly issued to the unauthorized occupants.
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Dehradun, Uttarakhand
1) Applicant is required to attach the identity proof and ownership/ occupancy proof and no objection certificate from owner in case of tenant with the application 

2) if he is an unauthorised occupant apply to electricity /water board to disconnect his connection 

3) also file eviction suit against unauthorized occupant 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45738 Answers
2692 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The answer is no. However, if some documents pertaining to the property have been forged by him to set up his ownership or possession then obtaining electricity connection is not a big deal. The motive behind obtaining water and electricity connection is to add more weapons to the armour to repel the claim of the actual owner if he files a suit for eviction. 

2. Unless the possession of this person is declared as illegal the water/electricity connection cannot be disconnected.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The electricity or water supply connections cannot be transferred on the tenant's name also.  
Here the transfer is alleged to have been made on the name of the son of  deceased caretaker, which is illegal and invalid.  
The actual owner have to intimate the fact of this fraudulent transfer in the name of an irrelevant person to the concerned authority and should make a request to cancel it and revert the same to the original owner.
The owner has to produce the copies of his title deeds before the authorities to restore the services on his/her name. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35910 Answers
390 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer