• Correction of date of birth on school leaving certificate and SSC

The issue is related to correction of Date of Birth on School leaving certificate and SSC passing certificate (March 2008).
I had appeared for SSC examination in Maharashtra in March 2008.
My correct date of birth is 27/05/1993 which correctly mentioned on Birth certificate, PAN card, Aadhar Card.
However the leaving certificate issued by my primary school mentions incorrect date of birth which incidentally continued in leaving certificate after 10th and after 12th and also in SSC passing certificate.
Now I have applied to one of the Central Govt. PSU for job. They are considering birth date mentioned on SSC passing certificate or leaving certificate only, which would pose difficulties to me in future.
Please consider following :
1. I have heard that DOB on SSC passing certificate can be corrected within 10 years.
2. I read in rules of Maharashtra state board that only if DOB in school records is correct and DOB on SSC certificate is wrong then they would do the correction after making application to them through school head.
3. But in my case DOB in school records itself is wrong.

Kindly let me know what problems I may face if I continue with DOB of school records in central govt. employment records also which obviously would be different from true DOB as mentioned in birth certificate.

Also kindly let me know the suitable course of action/procedure to be undertaken to :
1. Correct the DOB in leaving certificate of primary school.
2. Correct the DOB in leaving certificate after 10th (SSC).
3. Correct the DOB in SSC passing certificate.
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Jalgaon, Maharashtra
Since in your case the DOB in school records is also wrong, which you did not attempt to rectify, you will inevitably require a court order to rectify the same in SSC certificate. You should apply of rectification of date in school records to the school and also to the state board. It is unlikely that your application will be accepted by the school or board, in which event you can move the civil court to seek judicial directions to the board to rectify the arror.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you have to move court to direct board to rectify date of birth in your school leaving certificate on basis of your birth certificate 

2) since yiu have passed out in 2008 it is doubtful that board would rectify date of birth in your certificates without court orders 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44368 Answers
2577 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you think that the date of birth was wrongly entered in the school records and you correct date of birth is as per the birth certificate, you may apply first to the school authorities to correct the school records as per the birth certificate (copy to be enclosed).  The school authorities will refuse to do so mentioning that they do not have powers to correct the error at this stage or they may refer the matter to the educational authorities, who also will refuse to entertain your request. After getting their refusal in writing approach a civil court with a suit to declare your correct date of birth as per the date of birth certificate and to direct the school authorities to incorporate the changes. 
This can be an alternate procedure to be followed in this regard.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34540 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer