• Divorce

Hello Sir- i got married in Dec 2012. My wife is a law graduate but not a practicioner but working in outsourcing firm. immediately after marriage my sister in law came and then later my mother in law. they always interfered in our life. Even without them my wife used to fight with me and was demanding monetarily. few months back we had a fight and her mother and others provoked her to leave house. i later went to bring her and she came. a week later she again went back to her mothers place saying she does not want to stay with me. she did not try to contact me in last several months. She earlier told that she wants a divorce by mutual concent and will not demand anything.her guardian also confirmed the same to my parents . But her sisters and mother have provoked her and now she is asking for money as maintenance even though she is working and threatening to file a case against us. We had promised to return her jewellery given by her family . What should we do ?? Is she right in what she is doing now.

Please help
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
She cannot demand maintenance as she is a working lady.

You may file for divorce for causing you mental cruelty and harassment.

thanks
Feroz A. Shaikh

You must start collecting the evidence which shows that she is a working lady and is earning right now. This would include IT Returns, Pay Slips, Bank Account Details etc. This will help you in case she files a case for maintenance.

Nishant

That seems to be sufficient for the time being.

Nishant
She cannot lay any claim to maintenance as he is herself earning. Bank statement will be sufficient to prove that she is an earning lady.
In that event the prerogative is yours as to whether you want to believe us or the 'multiple' people you spoke to. You may go ahead and file for divorce. A case is decided by the court on the basis of law which is gender neutral.
Evidences rule any case. If your evidences are strong, it needs to be put up before the court properly. However, listening to layman and general opinion is a sure recipe for self harassment and hallucination; which at best should be avoided as we lawyers in this forum give our precious time answering questions for the benefits of those who need it, and at best free.

thanks
Feroz A. Shaikh