• Refund of MTNL STD PCO deposits

I was among the first STD PCO s to be started in mumbai. I had paid Rs.9600.00 for my first connction in 1989 and in 1990 i paid 48000 for 4 more connections.in 1991 they (MTNL) categorised PCO's having Fax and Local PCO's as communication centres and took an addl. Rs20000.00 as communication centre deposit.in 2008 i surrendered the lines and they sent me refund taking the deposits as Rs5000.00 per line. as i had shifted my residences 4 times the Deposit receipts were misplaced and i did not encash the cheques as the amount were not as per deposits paid.in 2011 i got the original receipts and i applied for refund of my deposits paid and the accounts officer insisted to give all the original receipts , cheques and demandnotes whih i did and till date they are not settling the issue and tell that yhe settlement is already done in 2008 and they dont have any records.
Asked 2 years ago in Business Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
1) you have acknowledgment of surrender of original receipts to MTNL? 

2) file RTI application with MTNL as to why refund not sanctioned till date inspite of surrender of original receipts

3) issue legal notice to MTNL if no refunds paid to you 

4) file complaint before consumer forum against MTNL for refund of money paid with interest  
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46940 Answers
2776 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your grievance is that the issue has not been settled despite you having given the original receipts with cheques and demand notes. To address the status quo you can file a lawsuit for recovery of money with compensation for delay against MTNL. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You are the consumer of the service/business  provided/offered by the MNTL,

2. Despite depositing all the required documents, they ae not returning you the amount,

3. File a complaint case before the local District Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum alleging deficiency in service and unfair business practice claiming refund of the said money with interest, damage and cost,

4. Engage a local lawyer having expertise in this field.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18830 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Collect all the details of payments made and received, it is not essential if you could not produce the missing records. 
Send a legal notice to the company demanding the payments due to you, let them commit in writing after which you can think about initiating proper legal action for the same. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37121 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer