• Buying agricultural land in Maharashtra in joint names

Is there any restriction on the number of people who can jointly acquire agricultural land in Maharashtra? In case property is being acquired jointly how does the ceiling apply?
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
There is no such restrictions as long as the buyers are individual and not corporate bodies.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13123 Answers
174 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you need to be a farmer to acquire agricultural land in Maharashtra 

2) you can acquire agricultural land in joint names if both are farmers 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46664 Answers
2759 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. To buy agricultural land in Maharashtra you have to be a farmer.  As per the provisions of the Agriculture (ceiling on holding) Land Act, 1974, a farmer is empowered to hold 18 acres of irrigated land or 27 acres of land, which has no assured perennial supply of water for irrigation, but has assured water supply for one crop. Conversely, a farmer can hold 36 acres of land, which has un-assured water supply or 54 acres of dry crop land. As per the draft on land reforms, the Centre had proposed that the ceiling limit should be reduced from 54 to 15 and from 18 to 10 acres.

2. There can be a joint acquisition but the ceiling limit will apply to the entire land registered in the conveyance deed. It cannot be be bifurcated as separate units for the purpose of computing the ceiling limit. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23097 Answers
639 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This Act is called the Maharashtra Agricultural Lands (Ceiling on Holdings) Act, 1961
 In calculating the ceiling area to be held in this Stale, and
determining the surplus land, the area of land in any other pa of India (being land
which a person or family unit is entitled to hold in such other part of India under any
law relating to ceiling on land.) shall be taken into consideration. Only land held in
this State may be declared as surplus.
in the land held in or operated by a co-operative society or held
jointly with others or held by a firm, the share of the person shall be
taken to be the extent of land such person would hold in proportion
of his share in the cooperative society or his share in the joint holding
or his share as partner in the firm, as if the land had been so divided
and separately held on the relevant date.
4) No land shall b taken into consideration more than once in calculating the ceiling
area for the holding of any person or as the case may be, of a family unit.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36802 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer