1. At the outset, you need to decide the form and structure of the proposed business i.e. whether proprietorship, partnership, company, etc. You can commence operation of your business as a sole proprietor which does not require registration. It can be started with a current account held by the sole proprietor. You require physical location and license under Shops and Establishment Act. You can start from your rented property. There is no legal requirement to have a separate property for the commencement and operation of your business.
2. For online business, you need to have your own website with unique domain name which needs to be registered and hosted on a server.
3. You should have a dedicated 24x7 customer helpline for redressal of grievances,
4. You need to have a RBI approved Payment Gateway,
5. You should have the services of a dedicated courier for delivery of products to customers,
6. There are certain goods which are completely exempt from VAT in accordance with the rules framed by the respective state govts. Many handmade products such as banarasi saree, etc fall in this category.