• Cars24 non-transfer of RC

I sold my car to Cars24 and took delivery on 15/12/22.
Till date the RC has not been transferred by them though 14 months have passed.
In the meantime the car insurance expired in June 23 and the registration will expire on 31/03/24 after 15 years in NCR . On repeated follow up they had sent me an affidavit in July 2023 covering to cover any liability.
Thereafter there has been no response or progress.
What can I do to safeguard myself since even the registration will expire on 31st March 2024.
Asked 2 months ago in Consumer Law

2 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

- As per the Supreme Court Judgment, if you sold your vehicle and failed to transfer the ownership through legal way, then you will remain the owner of the vehicle, and further you will be responsible for any untoward incident and accident by the buyer. 

- As per the Indian Motor Vehicle, the transferor (seller) has to inform the Regional Transport Offices (RTO) within 14 days of the transfer of ownership. 

- Further , this Act also instructs the transferee (buyer) to inform the RTO about the change in vehicle ownership and produce all the required documents within 30 days of the transfer.

- You should first lodged your complaint with the police station after narrating all the facts and submit all the documents you have in your support.

- Further, also inform the RTO in written, after enclosing the said police complaint receiving copy , and thereby  request the official to change the ownership.

- The last option is Consumer Court. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
13211 Answers
198 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Issue legal notice to cars 24 to transfer registration certificate in their name 


2) issue public notice in local newspapers that you have sold car and that the seller shall in no way whatsoever be responsible for any misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission with the car (state make, model,type of body,registration number, engine and chassis nos.)by the buyer or any other person who directly or indirectly uses the bike for such misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission. The liability of such misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission shall solely rest with the buyer of the car."

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94700 Answers
7528 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You inform the same to local police station and RTO also send legal notice to cars24

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31935 Answers
179 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

After having sold the car and handed over delivery of the same, you should have informed the concerned RTO about the sale of the vehicle to the car dealer by attaching the document to prove the sale.

Even now on the basis of the correspondences with the car dealer you can intimate the concerned  RTO about the facts and get relieved from the liabilities 

At the same time you can issue a legal notice to the car seconds sale dealer about this lacuna and instruct him to take action at once, you can endorse a copy of this legal notice to the RTO and also the police station. 

You can give the details of the date of sale, sale consideration amount, correspondence with the car dealer etc in the legal notice, which will protect your interests to some extent

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84896 Answers
2192 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client, 

Getting your expired Remote Control renewed as soon as possible is crucial. The traffic police will penalise you if they find you driving without a registration certificate or if it has expired. The ticket won't have an impact on the cost of future auto insurance, but the movement of your car will be restricted in most states. Before moving, registration must be renewed. Circulars pertaining to PUCs that mandate the scrapping of cars after 15 years are not eligible for renewal. The transfer of ownership might not occur even if you sell it. In order to get your car's RC cancelled, you must notify the RTO within 14 days of scrapping it. To ensure a seamless RC cancellation process in the event that your car is totaled, you should also obtain a comprehensive auto insurance coverage. It is imperative to renew the Registration Certificate before to its expiration date in order to prevent any penalties or fines, as mentioned in the certificate. There's a penalty fee associated with renewing it even if you've missed the deadline.

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
8857 Answers
110 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer