• What is process to file a disciplinary complaint against an advocate in Pune


I had engaged an advocate for my divorce case and I have some complaints against my advocate regarding non-transparency with charges and charging huge money than agreed earlier. I am based out of Pune and doing job in Pune. I tried to discuss it with the advocate amicably but things have not been addressed. So I have decided to file a complaint against my advocate in Bar Council . 

1. Is there any Bar Council of Maharashtra office in Pune where I can file the complaint from Pune itself or I will have to go to Mumbai only for filing complaint?
2. If I have to file complaint in Mumbai only, then what is the process to file the complaint in the Car Council of Maharashtra office offline?
3.Can I file complaint online and what is the process for filing it online?
Asked 3 months ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

You can file complaint t against advocate with bar council of Maharashtra at its office in Bombay 


2) you can visit website of bar council for format of complaint 


3) it has to be filed on stamp paper of Rs 100 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94965 Answers
7576 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The complaint against the advocate can only be lodgd with the Bar Council which has provided him the license to practice. No other Bar Council shall have disciplinary authority to proceed against.

So first take such information and then proceed. 

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22886 Answers
492 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to file a complaint wth the bar council situated at pune or mumbai along with affidavit 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32093 Answers
183 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

1. The bar council is located in Mumbai hence the complaint even if filed online has to be addressed to Mumbai bar council only.

2. You can look for the details over online itself.

3. You may visit the website of bar council of Maharashtra and get the details.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85166 Answers
2222 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- If you have proof of agreement with the said lawyer for the agreed charges , then only the BCI will take action against the said lawyer

- However, you can visit website of BCI for lodging a complaint against him. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
13377 Answers
199 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client, 

It is necessary to file a petition in order to lodge a complaint against an advocate. In accordance with the Code of Civil Procedure, it must be properly signed and validated. It is common practice to register complaints in Hindi, English, or any other regional language that has been designated as a state language. In accordance with the Bar Council of India Rules, the State Bar Council in which the advocate is enrolled is the appropriate party to receive a complaint against. After reviewing the complaint, the State Bar Council will decide what steps to take. At the Bar Council of India office, an appeal may be filed by the appellant, his lawyer, or a designated representative. To reach the Secretary of the Bar Council of India, it can also be submitted by registered mail. On or before the last day of limitation, the appeal must be filed. File the complaint on an affidavit, meaning on 100/-stamp paper with two extra copies. If there are more than one Advocate, add extra copies for each. The Indian Oaths Act permits a Notary or Magistrate to administer oaths, and this person must witness the properly sworn Affidavit. 

Hope this answer proves beneficial to you.

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
9028 Answers
110 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

hello sir,

if you want to file a complaint against your advocate to bar council in Mumbai you can visit to high court bar association and address your complaint in writing. 

Jayshankar Pandey
Advocate, Greater Mumbai
7 Answers

Not rated

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer