Harassment by Mother in Law, threatens to kill herself
please give me some guidance. Putting down the various happenings in my home. Kindly advise the way forward and how i should tackle this situation:
1. My Mother in law does not let me enter the kitchen to make food for myself and my husband.
My husband is completely with me and i have all his support.
2. She has consumed sleeping pills, threatened to kill herself(more than 5 times now) , has been hospitalized as well after consuming pills, Reason:She wants the house to be transferred in her name. And after doing so she has told my husband that i will "phasao" you and your wife and you will be held responsible. She thinks we are scared of her due to this reason.
3. She is not letting my house maids clean my room, wash my clothes.
4. She has demanded small jewellery i received as gifts from my husbands relatives. She says it belongs to her and she has been abusive for the same reason with me when i did not budge.
5. She uses the most filthy language possible. My father in law cannot do anything because she makes an ugly scene at the drop of a hat and he feels helpless. She has broken things in the house before and been violent.
6. Suprisingly, when my husband went to the police to get help(when she consumed sleeping pills and tried to wrongly blame us), the cops told him that "Be careful, tumko kaaam pe laga degi".
7. My husband and i are self sufficient and have no reason to ask her/father in law for a single penny. We are just being harassed and this is going on since 2 years now. We have been keeping quiet for a long time and do not talk to her at all from 2 years. She has complete support of my sister in law who keeps calling me "cheap" at every instant.
Please advice me the way forward.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
1. Who is the legal owner of the house wherein you and your husband are living? Since you have mentioned that your mother-in-law wants the entire house to be transferred to her I am assuming that she is not the owner thereof. If your husband is the owner of this house then he can legally evict his mother therefrom on court orders. To this end he will have to move to court and file a case for her eviction.
2. If your husband is not the owner then both of you may move out to some other place in view of the fact that you are self sufficient.
3. If she dies due to consumption of pills then your husband may well be held liable for creating such circumstances which compelled her to resort to the extreme step of ending her life. So you have to be on guard. Since cops abdicated their duty to register your complaint you and your husband may now move to court to file a criminal case against her. In addition thereto, you may also initiate proceedings for domestic violence against her and claim protection from further misery. You have to decide how far you are willing to go against her within the parameters of law.
Dear client,First try to be very lovable to your mother in law.May be due to her son's marriage she may be feeling unsecured.It is but natural in some cases that the mother thinks that because of the daughter in law the son shall not not pay attention to her. If it is not like that move to another house.Because if again anything happens to her you & your husband will be responsible for her commitment to suicide.
1) immediately shift to alternative accommodation .
2) your mother in law needs psychiatrist treatment .
3) record your mother in law conversation .
4) install CCTV cameras in the house .
We cannot afford to move out.
The flat is in my father in laws name.
She is the nominee after him.
Can she trouble us after his death with regard to the house? Can she get us evicted after him if she is a nominee only?
All we want is a live and let live attitude and I'm quite surprised that I'm being told that she can falsely implicate my husband incase something happens.
Us keeping quiet probably gives her more strength.
I am very uncomfortable and afraid of being around her but sadly we cannot move out.
Please rightly guide me as I feel something needs to be done against this evil person. Talking is of no use with her as she is an abusive person and will do anything for her selfish motives.
Asked 3 years ago
1. If your father-in-law dies leaving a will in her favour then she can evict you and your husband from the house after the property is transferred to her name.
2. As suggested earlier, file a case for domestic violence against her and also initiate criminal proceedings for threatening to implicate you and your husband in false cases. It is in your interest to proceed legally against her now as both of you will be on a sticky wicket if she harms herself in any manner.
1) nominee is only a trustee . on your father in law demise your husband would be one of the legal heirs ,
2) only if your father in law leaves a will bequeathing flat yto your mother in law would your MIL be absolute owner of flat
3) she cannot evict you if MIL is only a nominee