• Girl ran away with her boyfriend just before a month away from her marriage


My sister has ran away with her boyfriend just after she turned 18 and just before 1 month remaining for her arranged marriage.

She told police that she is agree to stay with boy. Parents and brother are dead for her.

She is in anger because we did not listen to her when she said that she want to marry her boyfriend. And she said this just after her engagement.
By the way her boyfriend is from another caste

Since then my parents are like living like dead bodies.
They thinks Its shame for them in society now and they don't deserve to live now with such shame.
Its been 1 month now and people are suggesting to take the wrong action against my sister(you can understand what most people does).

My parents says she is childish and if we stay with her for 2-3 days she will be fine and if not then they will be happy to let her marry with her boyfriend.

Now her boyfriend tells her that we will beat/ki** her if she comes back.

From both side FIR is filed that we have danger from each other.

Her boyfriend parents says to my parents that "Do whatever you want to do, we don't care"

At the moment we don't know where she is but we just have contact with her boyfriend parents who are not willing to talk to us nowdays.

My Question is of course what are your suggestion on this.
I don't know how i should take care my my parents.
Can i do something legally to get her back for at least some days?

If she is all the way legally right then who will be responsible if something happens to my parents(since they have stopped talking from a while)? themselves or me or my sister or no one.

Is there any law from parents side.?

Or just something what people suggests.
Asked 1 month ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

Let your sister take her own decision in life 


she is an adult and can take her own decision for marriage 


if her boy friend refuses to marry her she will return back 


even if you file FIR police would close case after taking your sister wishes into account . No case of kidnapping is made out as sister left house out of her own free will 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
90353 Answers
6615 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Inform the boy that girl is too young to marry 


inform your parents that daughter is adult and has right to make her own decision in life 


she has to learn from her own mistakes 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
90353 Answers
6615 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 - As per law, a girl who is attained the age of majority can marry a boy of her choice , and the parents cannot force her to marry someone else.

- Hence, if your sister will give statement before the magistrate that she wanted to live with her boy friend , then the FIR lodged against her boy friend may cancelled . 

- You should to reconcile your sister to come to home after giving information about your parents conditions without her 

- If her boy friend is suggested her that if she will go to her parents then they will kill her , then she can take security from the local police for the same for her safety . 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10840 Answers
136 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your sister has eloped with her boy friend on her own, she is an adult hence no case of kidnap or nay other offence can be leveled against her boy friend.

If the boy friend is not willing to marry her, then let she realise the fact and return to home, after which your parents would be happily change her mind.

However if she do not want tfo come back to your parents then you cannot force her because she is an adult and has right to choose her own life as per her will and wish.

She cannot be held responsible for your parents health condition, they have to realise the facts and carry on their life ignoring the sentimental issues attached to it.

These days or even in the previous days the inter caste marriages were common and any effort put by parents to stop them would repulse and would turn into an ugly situation sometimes may result into suicidal deaths too if the parents are very strict and do not recognise it.

Therefore if at all your sister is not traceable neither the boyfriend is not disclosing her whereabouts you can file a haebus corpus petition after lodging a man missing complaint with the concerned police,. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
80523 Answers
1730 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If your sister and the boy have decided to marry each other against the wishes of parents, since you cannot legally stop them from doing so, it would be better that you recognise their decision and support them to get them married and convince your parents that such things are common and there is nothing to be worried o this count.

You can alternately convince your sister to rethink about this, if she decides to not to marry him then you can take her back. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
80523 Answers
1730 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear client 

It is important to handle this situation with care and respect for everyone involved. Here are some suggestions:


Legal Action: You can take legal action to try to bring your sister back, but it may be difficult if she is over 18 and has indicated that she is willing to stay with her boyfriend.


Mediation: You may consider seeking mediation or counseling services to resolve this situation peacefully and in a way that is in the best interest of everyone involved.


Contact Authorities: If there are concerns about safety or abuse, it is important to contact the relevant authorities for assistance.


Family Responsibility: Ultimately, each individual is responsible for their own actions. It is not possible to predict the future and who might be held responsible if something were to happen to your parents.


It's important to remember that everyone involved in this situation deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Taking a calm and reasoned approach, rather than one based on anger or fear, will be more likely to lead to a positive outcome



Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
6092 Answers
66 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. She is an adult as per law.


2. You can not forcibly bring her back home against her wishes when she has already lodged complaint against you.


3. You shall have to handle the issue very carefully.


4. Try to reach her through her other friends to inform her that your parents are at the last stage of their sufferings and they have agreed to her marriage.


5. This might inspire her to contact you for getting officially married & once she contacts you, she can be convinced to postpone her marriage for some time.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26890 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You shall have to deal with the problem pragmatically and as as suggested in my earlier post.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26890 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

There is no law which prevents a person who attains marriageable age to marry against the wishes of her / his parents.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6103 Answers
419 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

There is no law to take action against her. She is adult and can Marry anyone. At the most your parents can disown her from their self acquired property 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28990 Answers
110 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

She's major and marrying a person of her choice is her right. Just don't interfere with it and all will be fine 

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1457 Answers
5 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer