Can I use my residential address as office address?
What are the documents needed? The nature of business will be service..like content writing. Will i be required to pay commercial electricity bill or residential one?
Asked in Business Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Will be planning to recruit few employees too. Can the neighbors object?
Asked 1 year ago
1) you cannot use residential premises for office purposes without consent of the society
2) most societies in Mumbai are for residential purposes only
3)if you are residing in said flat you can use it partly for commercial purposes
4) you would need licence under shops and establishment act
5) if flat is used for commercial purposes only you will have to pay electricity bill for commercial purposes
Generally a residential place cannot be used for commercial purpose but can be done with proper permission or licence. However for running a office at home such permissions are not required. In the office without the commercial activities like clients visiting the office and performing a full time professional or commercial office, proprietor may have to take licence from municipality and the charges will be at commercial rates, but in common many people do not bother about the existing law and carry on their business to which even the authorities turn a blind eye or deaf ear. You may continue until there is no problem since yours is a residence.
1. You are free to use your residential premises for your business purpose unless there is a law prevailing in your part of the country which specifically forbids commercial use of the residential address. Certain professionals like lawyers, doctors and CAs can use any percentage of their residence as their office, whereas the other professionals can make use of only a fixed percentage of their residence for office purposes.
2. The neighbours can object only if there is a law which prohibits the commercial use of residential premises and you violate it.