• How to protect myself from future issues?

I was in a relationship, but even after I broke up with the guy he is now threatening me with my pictures and has taken my phone. He threatens to take this to my family and have them abused. I don't want this matter to reach my family as nobody is aware of it. How can I handle this situation legally.
Asked 2 years ago in Criminal Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Muslim
1. You should file a complaint for criminal intimidation and theft against him to the nearest police station.

2. In addition to above, you may also seek a restraint order against him to prevent him from making your personal pics public.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
20451 Answers
542 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Well this a criminal offence and you can seek legal redress.
2. You can lodge complaint of criminal intimidation and blackmailing in cyber police whereby various charges can be lodged against him under IT Act.
3. I may further inform that family members are likely to get information of this but I hav no other option also.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
8560 Answers
102 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) You can first of all file a complaint in the local police station against him for criminal intimidation and theft of your phone.

2) Besides this you can also file a case seeking an order from the court to restrain him from publishing the pictures that  you don't want to become public.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2066 Answers
86 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you want to take legal action against him, you may have to lodge a complaint with the cyber police station or with the jurisdictional police station under cyber crimes.  While lodging a complaint with the police, you may request them to warn that guy to not indulge in such activities which he threatens to do so.  You have no other go than to inform your parents at one stage because they only can rescue you and stand by you at the time of deep crisis.  You may inform them gradually by first informing your mother and then to your father through her. 
Even if you dont want your parents to know about this police complaint, the action taken by the police will provoke him and he will somehow spread the message to enable it to reach your parents. So, instead of they becoming aware of the information through a third person, it will be better if you break the news. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
22500 Answers
219 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a Lawyer