• What are my rights over my husband's assets

I am a goan roman catholic married to a RC goan settled in  mumbai.  We got married in 1998 in goa.  I am planning to file for divorce.  I wish to know if i have any rights over the husband or his fathers assets in mumbai. He had bought a flat for us in mumbai a year after getting married.  I am presently staying in Goa with my son since the last 5 years.  I had posted this same question on  24/12/13 but i did not get a reply.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from mapusa, Goa
Religion: Hindu
you don't have right over the property of your husband you are entitled to only maintenance and your son has right over the property of your husband provided it is ancestral property. you and your son entitled to seek maintenance from your husband. 

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

As per the existing law in India you have no right over the movable or immovable property of either your husband or father-in-law. The only right which you and your son enjoy is the right to claim maintenance from your husband. In addition to claiming maintenance from his father your son can also claim a share in the ancestral property, if any, of your husband.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23413 Answers
651 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer