• My Interior designer got advance for house interior work and delaying the design completion.

My Interior designer got advance for house interior work and delaying the design completion. Followed up multiple time through different channels like whatsapp, mail, call etc., No positive response on the completion date. There are multiple negative reviews in the Google about this designer and people have lost huge amounts like me. I don't want to go forward with this interior designer due to this. I requested for a 50% refund of the advance amount since the design is partially completed. Designer is refusing to return the amount and wants me to move forward with them. Need suggestions for the next steps.
Asked 10 months ago in Consumer Law

3 answers received in 2 hours.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Terminate contract with designer for failure to complete work within stipulated period 


sue the designer for damages for loss suffered by you 


award contact to another designer 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89092 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- The said designer is bound to do the work completed as per agreement even an oral agreement.

- Since, you are not satisfied with his work , then you can cancel the said work given to him after sending a legal notice , hence just send a notice that due to his fault and delay in the work you can cancelling the oral agreement and ask for the refund the advance amount paid by you 

- If no response, then file a compliant before the consumer forum for getting refund and compensation for mental harassment. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10324 Answers
124 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can send her a legal notice through lawyer and approach consumer court 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28106 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

First, issue a legal notice through a local counsel asking the decorator to fulfil his commitment by a set deadline. If there is no satisfactory response, you need to file a suit against him for specific performance.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore
2152 Answers
20 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If you had entered into an agreement and if he is found to have breached the conditions or violated the terms then you have rights to terminate the contract and seek refund of amount for the incomplete work.

In the absence of any agreement in writing, you can issue a legal notice mentioning that it was an oral agreement and that his work is not satisfactory especially he has not kept up his promise or had been using sub standard material or causing inordinate delay, you may terminate the agreement by the said notice and demand refund of the amount which is kept unutilised.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79250 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

You can file a money suit before the concerned court or can file before the consumer protection forum for deficiency of service.

Thank you

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
5374 Answers
58 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Respected sir/mam

He will have to pay the amount along with the cost if he refusing or refused to work on the same you just have to give him a legal notice mentioning the time period that within that time period he just have to complete then work or provide the amount that you are saying from him that is 50% as you have right to move to go and approach the consumer court if you approach the court court will provide your money along with the cost that is imposed by the court on him along with the interest there are many remedies for you so you did not need to worry much about that.. this is only a minor thing.

Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1259 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer