• Possession of my Villa in India during transition from Green Card to US Citizen

Hi Sir,
I bought a property (Villa) in India when I was in India and was an Indian citizen . Due to some builder conflicts with authority, possession of property came after 10 years. During this time, I got US citizenship and I had to surrender my Indian passport. I am US citizen now and holds OCI card.

Can I take possession of property and register property on my name now without any issues?

I still have Indian PAN card, Voter Card, and OCI card. 

Please suggest if I need to take care of anything else?
Appreciate your response in advance.
Asked 8 days ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

You can very well get the property registered on your name and as it is the sale agreement dates back to 10 years ago during which time you were an Indian citizen. Besides,  there's no restrictions for a foreign citizen to buy residential property in India. 

You can give the Indian AADHAR card number and copy for registration identity proof.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
74484 Answers
1226 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is residential property and there is no bar of you taking possession of property merely you are an OCI 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
84384 Answers
5530 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, very much. You may get it registered by complying with the registration formalities and you may take possession. If you are not able to be physically present for the purpose, you may execute a specific power of attorney in favour of your relative or friend only for the purpose of registration of the sale deed and taking possession on your behalf upon completion of the registration formalities.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore
1018 Answers
17 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

- As per law, an ICI or person of Indian origin (PIO), can purchase any immovable property in India, whether it is residential or commercial .

- Hence, you can register the said property in your name without any issue of being an OCI card holder. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
8182 Answers
86 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client, 

There are no issues and you can take possession of the property. However, update all your details under the sub-registrar. 

Thank you

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
2729 Answers
27 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes you can take it but you will be liable for taxes on the status of Us citizen

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
24476 Answers
52 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Since you are an OCI Card holder, you can buy/own properties in India and can get the title deed registered in your favour.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26070 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer