• Dowry related

I am a male 36 years and married in 2010.My Father -in-Law transferred rupees 2 lakhs in to my mother's bank account, even though we have not demanded anything from them.since four years myself and my parents have taken good care of my wife.i have blessed with a child in 2013.Even entire our relatives and my locality people also known that we have treated my wife as a daughter.But due to unknown reason my wife gone to my In-Laws house from january 2014 and threatening us that we have harassed her and domestic violence case was made against our.she even not lifting the phone and my  one and half years daughter was away from us since last 6 months.Now I'm worrying that we have received 2 lakhs into my mother's account in 2010 ,is this may create any problem for us?.If Domestic violence case was made then we are confident that we have not made any mistake and we can prove our innocence.but this money received will create any problem for us?.Even though we have given one lakhs of jewelry to my wife during marriage.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1) it is necessary to go through the contents of complaint filed under DV cat to advice . contest the Dv case on merits . 

2) your wife has not lodged any complaint regarding dowry harassment as on date . i do hope your wife is in possession of her streedhan . 

3) Dv cases are referred to mediation . try to settle issue amicably . you can make an offer to your wife that she is welcome to come back and stay with you . if she wants a divorce do it by mutual consent . return the Rs 2 lakhs given by your in laws
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46636 Answers
2757 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your mother's receiving Rs.2 lakhs can surely  be considered as an evidence of taking dowry,

2. So, any complaint against you & your family regarding domestic violence for further dowry demand may go against you,

3. Settle the matter amicably with your wife.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18730 Answers
452 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. If the amount was transferred to your account without being preceded by a demand raised by you, it was obligatory on your part to immediately take the necessary steps to return the amount to your father-in-law. The unsolicited transfer could have been a part of the strategy to build base for filing a case against you. So it can go against you.

2. As and when she files a case you have to contest it on merits.

3. Try to settle the matter amicably with your wife.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23092 Answers
639 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer