• Purchase of Agricultural land in Chiplun, Maharashtra

Hello all

I am planning to purchase 1 acre of agricultural land in Chiplun. I will shortly get a farmer certificate from Rajasthan. My does not have a farmer certificate. 

Can I purchase land in Maharashtra jointly in my and my wife's name?

Asked 5 months ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Wife should obtain agricultural member certificate from tehsildar 


then on,y purchase land in joint names 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87212 Answers
6048 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Agricultural Certificate from Rajasthan or anywhere (without actually Owning Agricultural land) is a prosecutable offence. Avoid falling into such Traps.

2. ONLY an original Agriculturist can purchase agricultural land, anywhere in India.  For other persons or legal entities, proper permission has to be taken from the district collector.

3. Visit the following link, for more INFO into the matter:

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- Now a non-agriculturist can also buy agricultural land in Maharashtra. 

- As previously, an non-agriculturist was not allowed to purchase agricultural land without the prior approval of the Collector, but after the amendment on 01.01.2016 in the Maharashtra Tenancy and Agricultural Land Act , now a non-agriculturist can purchase the agricultural land subject to certain conditions.

- Further now a non-agriculturist can now acquire agricultural land for non-agricultural purpose also with the condition that the purchaser will have to use the said land within a period of 5 years , and if the period of 5 years lapses, then the Collector may grant an extension of another 5 years after payment of non-utilization charges which will be determined at the rate of 2% of the market value of such land per annum.

- Further if the purchaser does not use the land for non-agricultural purposes within a period of 5 years or within the period of 10 years upon payment of non-utilization charges, then the Collector shall resume the land after issuing one month’s notice to the purchaser , and the land so acquired by the Collector will vest with the Government free from all encumbrances

- Hence, you can purchase the said land in your and wife's name jointly. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
9473 Answers
107 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If your wife is not having a farmer certificate then she may not be eligible to purchase the agricultural land either singly or jointly with you.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
77366 Answers
1460 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will be issued a Farmer's Certificate by the Rajasthan Government as soon as you do a valid Purachse Agreement (7/12). With this Farmer's Certificate, you can now purchases any type of Agricultural Land in the Entire State of Maharashtra

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21482 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear client, 

Yes, you can buy land jointly in you and your wife's name. You will be joint owners.

Thank you. 

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
4377 Answers
45 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes you can purchase the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
26719 Answers
79 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer