• Import of used high end IT and Telecom equipment

Hi Sir,

I am planning to buy Used High End Server's and Network Routers and Switches from US and other countries, would like to know if it is freely permitted or I need a license. I filed an RTI with DGFT but they are providing information only for Personal Computers and laptops.

Thanks & Regards
Asked 3 years ago in Business Law from Delhi, Delhi
1. There is no separate permission is required to import electronic equipment.
2. However you require trade license, vat registration and need to pay excise and customs duty t the port of delivery to receive those articles.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12577 Answers
162 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) import of net work routers and switches would fall under chapter 85 of customs traiff 

2) it would fall under chapter heading 817.62.90 

3) it would be freely importable 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44485 Answers
2586 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) I have not been able to find any notification banning import of used network routers and switches 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44485 Answers
2586 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Generally used items are not barred from carrying it while travelling from abroad to India, however you should possess valid details about the goods in your possession. 
If the goods thus imported are  for personal use and not for commercial purpose, you may import them by paying customs and excise duty applicable to it.  You dont need any license for that. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34622 Answers
373 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is not restricted for import if it is imported for personal use. 

2. If the desired use is commercial in nature then import is impermissible.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer