• Filing RTI for tenants information in my aunt's property

My aunt has a property which she had given to a caretaker many years ago. When asked to vacate the caretaker refused to do and had filed civil suit claiming it to be her own house. Thus there is ongoing civil suit in this matter. Fortunately all ownership documents are in the name of my aunt on which behalf she is fighting the case.
My question is that the caretaker has kept many tenants and enjoying the benefits of rent from those people even today. Someone has guided my aunt to file RTI for the information regarding those tenants which will be helpful in her ongoing litigation. 
The caretaker had submitted background check documents of those tenants in local police station last year. When asked for the information of the tenants the local police do not cooperate. 
Please guide me how to file the RTI online, which department to seek information from and what information to seek exactly and how to state the entire scenario in the RTI. Please help as we have never filed an RTI before this.
Thanks in advance !!!!
Asked 12 months ago in Property Law
Religion: Sikh

7 answers received in 1 day.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

She needs to fight eviction suit in this case

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
24248 Answers
51 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

leave and licence agreement with tenants must have been registered 


2)you can take search in sub registrar office in this regard 


3) for instance in Maharashtra registration of leave and licence is mandatory 


4)you have to visit local police station contact PIO , take RTI application form and fill in details 


5) seek information regarding property let out to tenants , date of agreement , amount of rentals charged , date of police verification etc 


6) in civil suit filed by your aunt seek court orders to direct tenant to deposit rentals in court 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
84092 Answers
5490 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. RTI can be filed on the Police portal for asking "certified copy" of all the relevant documents that is required. This may be partially useful in the ongoing civil case.

a) You can file a Police FIR, requesting investigation and charge-sheet, for various offences like Trespassing, Threatening, Cheating, Intimidation, Fraud, Breach of Trust, Mischief etc.... against the person, supported with all relevant supporting Documents, Evidences & Witnesses.

b) IF the Police does not take action, THEN you can file private criminal case u/s 156(3) Cr.P.C., in the local Magistrates court, seeking directions to the Police to investigate and file charge sheet. The said Person may come down for settlement.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5546 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot get any information regarding the tenants details through RTI act from police because the police may be having only the verification report which may be kept confidential as it is a private affair.

You have to to file an eviction suit to evict your aunt from the property if at all she is an unauthorized occupier of the property but you need to file supporting documentary evidences to prove your title.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
74182 Answers
1204 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is no fixed form for the RTI, but you may find some format online and submit the same with requisite fee of Rs. 100/- to Public Information Officer of the police station regarding the information required by you.  

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6629 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

RTI Application of the Act only on public servants

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19011 Answers
28 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. You can file RTI from website of police department seeking information about the verification application filed by owner.

2. Also make an application for getting details of registered rent agreements from sub registrar office. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10688 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are many websites with helps you in filing RTI online.

You can also ask any lawyer from this website for doing this on your behalf. 

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Just download the format for RTi and fill it and attach 10 rupees IPO and send by registered post.

Nitesh Gautam
Advocate, Shimla
17 Answers

Not rated

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer