• Suicide threat by wife

I am a recently married person, it was an arranged marriage on 15th June 2019. 
My wife threatens me of suicide whenever there is small fight or I don't agree to her terms.
It is a serious situation for me as I am continuously under tension and going through mental trauma.
I have tried to solve the problems by talking with my wife also have involved family members but it's only a short term solution and same situation occurs after 20 days or 1 month.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers

1. Well. suicide threat is most common among the girls and wives and once can ignore it unless and until the person suffers from mental sickness.

2. Your marriage is at initial stage where you have to to keep more patience and perseverance so the marriage gets worked out.

3. With time the frustrations out of adjustment in new life, insecurity out of it fades away and filled up by love and affection. 

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
363 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.Better to approach pshycologist give counseling. 



P. Gnanam
Advocate, Ambattur
18 Answers

Not rated


Involve your in laws, if the situation persist file a petition for judicial separation.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2935 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1) record her threats 


2) file NC with local police station against wife constant threats to commit suicide 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
84021 Answers
5474 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can make a police complaint against her that she threatens you for "attempt to suicide" and it's a very huge offence.

So if anything goes wrong in your life in future at least you will be safe by registering complaint.

Meanwhile policemen will call her for counseling in the police station and get counseling done in women's cell. All over India a women's cell is available in each police station.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12192 Answers
150 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

See.you can file a complaint before police against your wife for intimidation for suicide and further see to file divorce before one year of the marriage you need to seek permission of court citing your condition.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25518 Answers
147 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is REALLY serious issue, more so since if anything happens then the men will be blamed, even if there is no fault.

2. Making Police complaint will help for future but will not solve problems since it will re-occur.

3. Try telling her that you will also commit suicide, if she commits suicide and see her reaction. Might change her habitual attitude. The suicide threat might be her family (mother's) tactics in their house and she might have innocently picked it up.

4. As a last resort, send her to her parents house & do not keep any contact and after "one year" file divorce petition in the local family court.  This way atleast you will be saved from false cases against you by her.

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5546 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot initiate any legal action on this because your marriage is hardly a few months old.

You may find the root cause for her this type of behavior and get her treated through a psychiatrist if her mental behavior or condition  is not alright.

Did you involve elders or parents of her side and discuss about her attitude and behavior, if they are not cooperating then you may drop her at her parents house for few months and wait for any changes in her behavior or attitude, if there is no change in her behavior even after the period waited, you may file a petition under section 10 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, seeking judicial separation.

You can convert this petition to divorce at a later stage if there is no improvement in her after that also.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
74127 Answers
1201 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Continuous threat to suicide is mental cruelty and ground of divorce. Record her threats. Will be valid proof and defense of your innocence if any mis happening occurred or committed by her. . 

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21439 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


Attempt to suicide is also an offense if she commits such offense in future then simple hand over her to the police and ask them to book a case. Even now on her threats of black  mailings and your recordings police can book a case. Just threaten her through police.


I can completely understand the stress and trauma that you are undergoing. It appears that she is mentally upset over breaking up with you and feels emotionally insecure and vulnerable. At first, you should consider taking her for psychiatric treatment. At the same time, in order to protect yourself and your family I think you should consider filing a complaint with the local police authorities. You should also consider informing the State and the National Commission for Women that you are going through this. This preemptive action may protect you from suffering any harm in the future in case she takes any step.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You can approach the mediation centre In court of your local jurisdiction.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19011 Answers
28 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You have to handle the situation boldly. 

Make recordings whenever she threaten you for suicide.

Give NC to police regarding suicide threats by wife. 

Tell her family that if her behavior doesn't change then it will be difficult to maintain this relationship under such pressure and depressing situation.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10688 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File a police complaint against her for such threats and make a record to secure yourself in future

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
24192 Answers
51 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer