• Non-payment by government contractor

Hello Sir, This is regarding invoices issued by my proprietorship firm to Electrical Government Contractor. 
I have sold items to electrical contractor in Chandigarh and issued invoices for each of them. The Contractor assured me payment in few weeks and also issued few small payments to get more material. Now he is not responding to my calls and messages since months. Kindly suggest what action can i take. Also is there any law by which we can stop his payments from the department against his work orders and get the same directly from Government.
Asked 5 years ago in Business Law

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

If there is an arbitration clause you can go for arbitration. Other wise you can also file petition in nclt if he is a company. You have also the remedy of recovery suit in this case and you can attach his payments and receive the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32146 Answers
184 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

If you have supplied goods to particular projects. The under Indian Contract Act you request particular department to issue your payment. 


But as of now you can make complaint in consumer forum or Consumer court.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12934 Answers
256 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) you can issue legal notice to contractor to pay your dues 


2) if contractor fails to pay file summary suit under order XXXVII of code of civil procedure to recover your dues with interest 


3) there is no privity  of contract with government hence you cannot get your dues directly from govt 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95168 Answers
7604 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can inform the concerned govt authorities of his default in making payments for supplies made to him by you showing all details  and agreed terms of payment and request to recover the due amount from his payment and remit to you. 

You can file summary suit for recovery the amount due from him. 

You can also make a police complaint if the circumstances gives a reasonable conclusion that he intentionally has left without making the payment to defraud you. 

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
2837 Answers
14 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File a money suit immediately. Last but not the least, I would suggest you to send the purchaser of your materials an Advocate Notice before rushing to the court. The contractor may be from anywhere in India. Once you have delivered the materials, the contract is fulfilled from one side and lack of payment by the contractor is violation of Contract Act. Make sure that the Advocate you recruit does not delay the suit. Normally Money Suit doesnt take long to be heard, hence make sure the Advocate you recruit fights for your cause. All the best in recovery of your money

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19299 Answers
32 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

You should send a legal notice and if he does not respond proceed as per the terms of the agreement. If there is no agreement then inform the government how he is evading his payments. You can file a suit for recovery or file a criminal complaint against him.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
14091 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give a legal notice to the said person, in case it is company issue a demand notice and if on notice he fails to pay the amount file a suit in case of individual or proprietorship or partnership firm and insolvency petition before the NCLT in case it is company. 

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.  Based on the available documentary evidence, file a private complaint of Cheating, Intimidation, Breach of Trust etc.... in the local Magistrates court, against the said Contractor.

2.  Once the Case has been admitted by the Magistrate, THEN issue Notice to the Govt. Dept.,  about the Contractors Criminal Case. AFTER this the contractor will clear all your bills.

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Do you know the department? you can send a legal notice of demand to that department's head. 


Abhishek Sharma
Advocate, Chandigarh
128 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should hire an advocate and serve a legal notice for recovery of dues to the contractor through your advocate and also send copy of legal notice to the electricity department regarding recovery of dues from contractor.

If he fails to make payment you can initiate recovery suit against him.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10687 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot write to to government to stop engaging his services for the reason that he has not paid you the amount after buying the goods from you.

You can issue a legal demand notice and then follow the procedure for recovery of money by due process of law which will be the proper and best option legally available before you.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85369 Answers
2231 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer