• Legal issues if purchasing house on freehold agriculture land in Noida Extension

I want to purchase a house which is on a freehold agriculture land in Noida Extension.
There are some legal issues coming in this area and govt has ordered to demolish 1000+houses in Shahberi.
My question is if the seller is resaling his house with land, but the land is currently registered as agriculture land. Is it legally ok to buy such house in Noida Extension or there may some legal issues from govt. later?
Asked 3 months ago in Property Law from Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Religion: Hindu

It may create legal issues later as give policy may cause you to undego litigation

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
12860 Answers
22 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

insist that agricultural land be converted into NA then only purchase the agricultural land 


2) consult a local lawyer before purchasing land 


3) check whether title is clear and marketable 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
66913 Answers
4040 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since the conversion of property is not there for residential use and it is majorly used for residential use only then there can be issues. You should not go ahead for the sale.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
19306 Answers
75 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is never advisable to buy house on agricultural land.  It is totally illegal and govt may demolish such houses any time and/or levy heavy fine. 

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
1364 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


I would like to suggest you not to proceed with this.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
1057 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

The following information may kindly be read:

Raj Kumar Pandita, 42, wishes he had more of it. Pandita, like 30,000 others, fell for the comparatively lower rates being offered by builders in Noida Extension, outside Delhi, and booked a flat. Months later, he regrets not knowing that the farmers who were made to sell their land for his project had moved court.

The initial tremor came from the Allahabad High Court, which in May struck down land acquisition by the Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA), an Uttar Pradesh government undertaking, in Shahberi village, where his house was to be built. Pandita, who escaped Kashmir's bloodshed to build a new life in Delhi, fears he may lose his home again.

Times have seldom been as tough for home buyers. Lenders have increased interest rates a number of times in recent months. On another front, the land acquisition issue is becoming too hot to handle.

In Noida Extension, for instance, the court order came at a time the buyers had paid substantial money to the builders.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
3102 Answers
14 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I would not advise you to buy that property until and unless the land use is converted by payment of conversion charges by the seller.

Section 143 of the UP Zamindari Abolition and Land Reforms Act authorises the Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of the area to change the nature of a land from agricultural to residential.

Through an amendment in the Zamindari Abolition and Land Reforms Act, the Uttar Pradesh government in 2014 allowed real estate developers to use fertile agriculture land for residential purposes.

Heavy penalties could be levied on you if you use the land converted for a specific purpose for another and it can even lead to demolition of the property.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
4758 Answers
52 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

before purchasing contact local property lawyer. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
10204 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Certainly you will face problem, knowing area is already under demolition threat, purchase is not feasible.  

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
13188 Answers
16 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Since this is basically agricultural land on which the house property has been constructed illegally without converting the agricultural land to NA, it would not be advisable to buy this property because he might not even taken permission or approval for constructing the house property over this agricultural land.

The government may decide to demolish all illegal structures in the later stage then you will be left shelter-less.

However you may approach a local advocate and obtain  a legal opinion before deciding anything on this.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
56675 Answers
701 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You should not buy the house constructed on an agricultural land as the house is constructed without permission govt can order demolision of house any time. 

And should not put your hard earned money on such house. But you can purchase land only. And apply for change of land use to avoid demolishing of house. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
3516 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer