• Filing complaint under Section 498A of IPC

I would like to know procedure for filling complaint to Police  Department Under section 498A of IPC
Pls explain it as I am a layman.
RK Dhingra
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law from Mohali, Punjab
Religion: Hindu
For filling a complaint to police department, there is no procedure involved. You have to approach the police and write down the entire incidents from the date of marriage or from the date of the incident when the dowry was first asked for. the list of articles given in marriage for dowry needs to be attached along with the complaint. further, all the incidents needs to be mentioned specfically in the complaint. A complaint for 498A needs to be elaborate and specific giving a narration of all the cruelty meted out to the complainant.
Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
887 Answers
64 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. To file the complaint you just have to go to the nearest police station, meet the Station House Officer and articulate your grievance. Thereafter, it is the duty of the police to file the complaint.

2. If you wish to file a written complaint then you may do so by writing an application containing the facts in a chronological order and send it by a registered post to the concerned SHO.

3. The option of approaching the court is always there if your requests fall on deaf ears of the authorities.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Mr. Dhingra
Simple write a complaint with all the facts and submitted before police by hand or by way of sending post.

the police will refer to this complaint before Women Cell/CAW Cell and they send the notice to opposite party and try to settle the matter amicably, if settlement will not be possible then they will send the complaint to DCP/SSP and after the approval the police will registered the FIR and proceed further as per Law.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. You shall have to lodge a complaint before the local police station about dowry harassment against you,

2. If police refuse to file FIR, then send the complaint letter by speed post to the local police station under copy to the S.P./D.C. and collect the postal track record from the website of speed post,

3. After ther file a petition u/s156(3) praying for direction upon the police to investigate and act based on your said complaint.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18818 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer