• Bank account freezed

I have an account with ICICI BANK. Account balance is approx 80 thousand.
My account has been debit freezed since
1st July, 2017 till now. The bank officials told me the reason that they have received a complaint from Cyber Crime Police Station, Bengaluru. 
But they refused to tell me the details of the complaint and asked me to contact them for the same. 
They gave me a Enquiry number i.e. ( 254-2017 ) . To remove the debit freeze, they have asked a NOC from the Cyber crime branch.
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

Approach cyber crime branch and make enquires as to why your account has been frozen 


2) if crime branch refuses to de freeze your account you need to contact a local lawyer to obtain court orders for Dee freezing your account

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89022 Answers
6344 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.Unless the involvement in serious crime is established it is not possible to freeze the account.

2.Enquire in the Bank. If the Bank do not give response, then file application under RTI Act.

3.If you are not satisfied with your bank's grievance redressal process you can lodge a complaint with the banking ombudsman.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19032 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You come in contact with concerned dept and get the FIR copy.  Then you can proceed

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28054 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. if you are not approached by the cyber crime branch for any inquiry, you can approach the appropriate Court to de-freeze the account.

2. you can also sue the bank for freezing your account and can claim damages from them 

Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Panipat
2372 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

If there is FIR registered against you and you have no information you have to approach to the cyber crime cell and enquiry about the case pending sometimes it may be by mistake as you have not made any complaint with the police your account kept freezed .

This is not a difficult task but if you don't wish to go to police station write to bank and the to the banking ombudsman who needs to reply in 30days.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6849 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Talk to the cyber crime branch cell and request them to defreeze you account or tell the reason for the same. Otherwise file a writ petition in the high court.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13845 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If indeed there is a complaint lying with Cyber Cell then do and meet the cyber cell officials to find out the complaint.

If you have nothing to do with the complaint then show proof if it or source of money. The police on being satisfied with source of money would surely direct the bank to de freeze the account.

If not then approach the court for this.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
407 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File RTI with bank seeking details of freezing of the account, further also contact the concerned police station if the police fails to de-freeze the account file application before the concerned court to get the account defreezed.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You may approach the cyber crime police and ascertain the case pending against you first. 

If they don't cooperate then you may resort to legal action by filing a case against bank for releasing the frozen bank account,  let the bank answer the court the reasons and case details. 

You may implead the cyber crime police as second respondent in the case. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79184 Answers
1611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Approach CCB and if it is frozen because of their orders challenge the order before competent court of law .




High Court of Madras 

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Why don't you talk to crime cell and get information why your account has been freezed. Otherwise if you file suit to unfreeze account, bank will submit reference of police to freeze account. In this case no relief from court. So first ascertain  reason  of freezing than initiate appropriate step.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

They can't freeze your account without an order from court merely on basis of information /direct from Police.  You may complain to Ombudsman as well as file consumer complaint for deficiency in service before ld Consumer Court 

Ram Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
16 Answers
1 Consultation

Not rated

- If, there is an FIR or Complaint against you before the Cyber Cell, then, as per law , it is the duty of the official to inform you for the same before Freezing your account .

- Otherside, the Bank officials should also inform you for the same before complying the instructions of the Cyber Cell , if any.

- Enquiry Number given by the bank official is not enough to contact the Cell. 

- You should lodge your complaint before the higher official and head office of your bank for defreezing your account. 

- After getting the reply from the side of bank, you should proceed further with the Cyber Cell.

- If, the Cyber Cell officials are not ready to do the needful , then you should file a case for the defreezing your amount . 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10269 Answers
123 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear client 

Then you should approach the cyber crime branch of Bengaluru to get the NOC and find about the complaint due to which your account was freezed by bank.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10687 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that you have been rightly informed by the bank officials that they can’t de freeze the court till they get the NOC from the Cyber branch or court.
  2. You need to move an application in the sessions court of your district against the cyber branch and seek Information about the reason for freezing.
  3. Once you do that hen you can contest the reason for doing so and get your account de free at least on temporary basis till the completion of case, if any filed against you.
  4. Rest, you are free to call me at any time for further detail discussion on this issue.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer