• Paid Rs. 25k for a fraudulent lawyer hiding conflict of interests keeping the money without services

May-2018, referred to a lawyer by the bank manager (where I was having some banking disputes) & to pay Rs.25k...stating that this lawyer being on the bank's panel important lawyer will be able to influence and solve my problems from inside...without going to the court.

June-2018, paid in full Rs. 25k (as evidenced by bank transfer on record) but I realised within the next 2 days of paying the nexus, conspiracy (of the bank mgr.+lawyer) and the illegal conflict of interests by the lawyer, all of them taking advantages of my 72 yrs old senior age, and before the lawyer did any work for me, I informed the lawyer on the phone, emails & through speed post (with copies to the bank mgr. all acknowledgements recv. signed by them) that I am not going to take his services and to refund the full Rs. 25k...The lawyer said on phone he is very busy now with IT returns will get back to me in July...

July-August-Sept...passed, no further responses from anyone, I now realise that I have been conned (and the money stolen) by this group and like to have some idea from KANOON how to proceed hereafter...thanks...
Asked 4 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers


You may go ahead and lodge a complaint against the lawyer before the BCI for unethical practices.

Also, you may lodge a criminal complaint against the lawyer and bank manager for cheating, fraud and criminal conspiracy.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Kindly move an application/complaint against that lawyer before the district President of lawyers bar association where that lawyer is practicing with your evidence. And also file complaint before the state bar association

Vikram Taunk
Advocate, Karnal
12 Answers

Not rated

Complain to BAR association, no work done for advocate hire, refund will process.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can complain to bar council against lawyer

2) rely upon correspondence exchanged with lawyer for refund of your fees

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87892 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First of all your step to solve your dispute through extra judicial procedure taking the help of the empanelled lawyer of the said bank with whom you have had the said dispute, is illegal.

2. Non compliance of the terms of an illegal contract can opt be agitated against.

3. So, never mention anywhere that you had hired the said lawyer by paying the said money for settling your dispute with the said bank by influencing the key bank officials. Thees people are called enablers in corporate circle and no complaint can be lodged against such enablers for their getting things done out of the way by influencing the key persons.

4. You shall have to take the stand that you had paid him the said amount for taking up your case legally and now want it back since you have decided to settle the dispute with the bank by yourself amicably and he is not required to file any case against the bank any further.

5. If he refuses to return the said amount, you can file a complaint before the Bar Council of West Bengal accordingly.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir file a complaint against the said lawyer for cheating and breach of trust with the police and further refer a complaint to the bar council of the state. The bar council shall take the action against the said lawyer and will help you to get the amount,

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Write to him(letter/e-mail) calling upon you to refund your fee.

In case he does not returns your money despite your letter, send him a legal notice.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


In this case bank manager is also involved and you may ask your money from both of them.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

If you are knowing the particulars of the lawyer you can give a complaint against the lawyer's cheating activity with the bar council as well as with the bar association to which he belongs.

With the evidence in your hand, you can even lodge a criminal complaint against the bank manager and the lawyer with the local police station for this offence and relief.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78048 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should file written complaint against the said lawyer to the bar association to take action against him for his acts as the advocates act bars lawyers from taking cases where there is any conflict of interest.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5925 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer