• Want to marry a Bangladeshi girl

I am a muslim boy from kolkata want to marry my bangladeshi girlfriend. she hav to escape from her home without indian tourist visa. she want to come in nepal on arrival visa. is it possible to apply indian 6month tourist visa from indian embassey in nepal? i think indian foreighner marrige act would take to time for register the marriage so can i marriage in muslim personal act so early for holding a marriage evidence? how to get a long term visa for her? how to marriage early by indian law? what should i do? her family is not agreed so she decide to leave home alone with passport. please help me how could i get marry her in legal way...plese help me..
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Muslim

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

See even if the parents are not agreeing she can directly apply for the tourist visa in India and then you can marry under special marriage act .

Further e

If you are marrying with personal law In nepal the. Register under foreigners act then as wife apply for visa in India. Since she will married to you as wife then on that ground she can get longer visa in india.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


She could come to India on a tourist visa and then get Married here. She can get become naturalized citizen of India. She could remain in India till the visa expires and then again extend the visa on grounds of marriage.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13762 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)you should get married under provisions of special marriage act in India as girl is foreigner

2) 30days notice has to be given of intended marriage

3) if marriage is solemnised abroad you can register marriage under provisions of foreign marriage act before Indian embassy

4) on basis of marriage certificate you can apply for long term visa for your wife

5) if both parties are Muslims you can solemnise your marriage as per Muslim personal law

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87976 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) If you are thinking about long-term than better to go with Foreign Marriage Act on paper as legally and as of today you can marry with her according Muslim Marriage Act.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. There is no law nor certainty in grant of visa to a foreign national. Further note that even after grant of visa the issuing country can stop him from visiting the country.

2. Since she is a Bangladeshi national, her chances of getting visa to enter India is most bright if applied from her mother land only.

3. Once she enters India on a valid travel permit/visa , you can apply and get your marriage registered under Special Marriage Act which takes minimum one month time.

4. So ask him to apply for visa from Bangladesh and then come to India to marry you.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)Bangldeshi girl should come to India with a tourist visa.

2)The Foreign marriage Act, 1969 will give you the complete details including the procedure to solemnize the marriage, issue of notice and registration details. You may go through the said law and then consult a local advocate if you dont understand the terms used in the law.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


Ask her to come India with tourist visa.

When she is in India both of you applied for a marriage in special marriage act.

After marriage she can apply for extension of time of visa based on your marriage,.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Even you would like to marry her as pr Muslim personal act, the marriage can be registered only under foreign marriage act or special marriage act since she is a foreign citizen.

For getting legal validity for the marriage the marriage has to be registered under special marriage act by following the procedures meant for it accordingly.

In India, civil weddings are governed by the provisions of The Special Marriage Act (1954). Under the Act, there’s a 30 day residency requirement, which means that either the bride or the groom has to be living in India for at least 30 days prior to applying to the local registry office to get married. For foreigners, this is evidenced by a certificate from the local police station.

You’ll need to submit your own documents to prove your identity.

In addition, evidence of eligibility to be married is usually required. Anyone who hasn’t been married should obtain a single status affidavit (in the US), a Certificate of No Impediment (in the UK), or Certificate of No Record (in Australia). If you’re divorced, you’ll need to produce the Decree Absolute, or if you’re widowed, a copy of the death certificate.

If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the application, a civil ceremony at the registry office can then take place. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

Since your wife will be here on a tourist visa, you have to convert her visa from a tourist visa to a short visit visa (valid for one year). For this you may have to visit the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). For this one has to go to Delhi at the following address: The Director (Foreigner), Ministry of Home affairs, Visa Facilitation Centre, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110 011. She should carry the original marriage certificate, and both your passports. A fresh visa application form has to be submitted. As a note, to add that a tourist visa is extendable by 45 days (Max) if an Indian citizen gives an undertaking in writing. The undertaking form is available with them.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78133 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. She shall have to arrive at India legally by availing Visa from the Indian Consulate of Bangladesh and get married to you.

2. Indian Consulate at Nepal will not issue Visa for the Bangladeshi girl and there is no Visa required for Nepali citizen to visit India.

3. Alternatively, you can go to Bangladesh and get married as per Foreign Marriage Act and get your said marriage registered before the appropriate officer of Indian consulate at Bangladesh. The said marriage will be considered as valid as per Indian law.

4. You can also get married at Bangladesh as per Sharia and get the Nikanama from the local Qwazi and get the said marriage registered before the Indian Consulate at Bangladesh.

5. Once your marriage with her is legally established, she can visit you on spouse Visa and stay put in India for 7 years and then claim Citizenship.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26614 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer