• Ownership transfer of sold motor bike

i sold my old motor bike in 2009 to a local dealer under exchange scheme. the dealer gave me a sale letter with his sign. later he resold it to some other resellers who have sold it to somebody else.
now i dont know who is owning the vehicle. the Registration name is still on my name. i reffered the online website of the kerala road dept for this.. .The party who is the current owner of this bike Havent cared to change the name yet.... luckily i didnt had any issues so far and i didnt thought about it so far.  now i  understand the risks and need a solution for this.  i dont think i can trace the current  owner through the dealer as 6 years have passed and many a people have changed.Also i dont think it is fair to file a false FIR stating the bike is stolen ... can i file an affidavat to the Registration authority that i have sold this vehicle and please remove my name from  the reg owner. will it give me a protection in case an accident happens..
the vehicle is 2004 make. by 2019 the fitness certificate will expire .
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Kottayam, Kerala
Religion: Christian
1) According to the Indian Motor Vehicle (IMV) Act 50, the transferor has to intimate the Regional Transport Offices (RTO) within 14 days of the transfer of ownership. Similarly the Act also instructs the transferee to inform the RTO about the change in vehicle ownership and produce all the required documents within 30 days of the transfer.

2) The transferor is required to fill Form 29 while the transferee is required to fill in the Form 30,

3) you have not mentioned how was payment received by you ? by cash or cheque? 

4) send a letter to RTO that you had sold bike in 209 . enclose copy of letter received from delaer acknowledging receipt of the bike . 

5) send letter by Regd Post AD 

6)  if the motorcycle was involved in some major accident or stolen and used for some anti-social activities  police will file complaint against you as your name is reflected in the RC book 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44209 Answers
2562 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.  Unless the registration of the vehicle is transferred to the buyer you continue to be its owner. If the vehicle is used in committing a crime then you will be held liable as you are its owner despite the sale.

2. Transfer of registration is something which should not be left to the buyer. It is your responsibility to ensure that the registration certificate is transferred. 

 3. On submission of the following documents in original to the RT Office you can have the transfer done.

A. Transfer Order form signed by the seller.
B. RC Book of the vehicle.
C. Insurance paper
D. Address Proof in original and photocopy 
E. One Passport size photo of buyer.

4. If you cannot trace the buyer then file a report to the police station for your safety. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22958 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Send a letter to the Registrar of Motor Vehicle informing them that you have already sold your bike to the local dealer in the year 2009,

2. Enclose adequete evidence in support of your claim,

3. Request the Registrar to cancel your name from the records as owner of the vehicle from 2009. 
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18112 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer