• My neighbour sued me for her injuries while trying to save me.

I am a 35 years old widower, working as a housemaid for livelihood and survival of my 3 children, all below the age of 10. Recently, I met with an accident. While cooking my cloth caught fire and I cried for help. On hearing my cry a female neighbour came to my rescue. In her attempt to save me, she suffered from injuries on her legs and palms (not major). As a thankful gesture and courtesy I paid her first aid expenses of up to Rupees 4,200 from my savings of more than 3 years. Few days earlier, she sent me a legal notice through a lawyer, claiming for a compensation of upto Rupees 1 lac for her injury and suffering caused in that incident. Her injury is not as major or fatal and can cause no long term damage, it has left scars on her calf region. I already paid for for her medical expenses as a thankful gesture but it is now impossible to pay any amount as I work as a household maid in 3 homes and get paid Rs 3000 per month. This is the only source of income of my livelihood. What do I do?
Asked 4 years ago in Criminal Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
hire services of advocate as you need to reply the legal notice received by you.there is no ground of her demanding Rs-1lac for damages,do not worry this will go in your favour.
Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

She cannot be allowed to enrich herself unjustly by virtue of the injuries she received. If legal notice has already been received by you then you do not have any option except to reply to it through your lawyer. If she goes to court then you can contest her case fittingly through your lawyer.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer