• Adverse report for police verification


My passport is about to expire in Jan 2019. So i have applied for re newal of passport last week. I received my new passport within 3 working days after i submit my application. Also on second day of submitting my application i got sms for post police verification. I went to local police station with all document proof and complete formalities. Now i received sms as police has submitted adverse report for current address. What should be reason ? How to proceed in this case . As i already received new passport should i ignore this
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

No you should not ignore this as passport can be compounded or cancelled based on that so it is better to approach the passport authority and police and ask for copy of report further submit reply to the reason what so ever stated and demand revivification if it appears there is some issue.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You received the passport even after adverse report which is weird. Bring this to the notice of the passport authorities other wise when they will realise their mistake they veil cancel the passport and inform you that they have cancelled it because of the adverse report.

Therefore make a representation to the RPO stating your case and go to the police station too and enquire why was the report adverse.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13757 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You must not be staying in said address hence Police gave adverse report

2) you cannot ignore adverse police report

3) apply for re verification

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You received the passport, until no action by Passport Authority based on police report, ignore.

For any action by passport authority , send an application through registered post or in person to the Regional Passport Office explaining why police submitted an adverse report.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. What is the report submitted by the police? Does not your present address tally with the address mentioned in your application for renewal of your passport?

2. You have already received the new passport for which there is no immediate problem for you.

3. However, meet the police station to get clarified the reason for te said SMS sent to you and settle the anomalies found by the police, if any.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. We cannot tell you what could be the reason. If there is no criminal case pending against you then the reason for adverse report has to be address mismatch. Go to police station and RPO to find out the reason and then decide the further remedial course of action.

2. Now the passport is issued first and verification done later. If the report comes out as adverse then your passport will be cancelled. So do not ignore.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please do get ignore this as your passport can be cancelled at later stages as your address has still not been verified which is the prerequisite for issuance of passport.

You should write a letter to the regional passport office requesting them to verify your address again. Also, visit PS to ascertain the cause of adverse report.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5928 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot ignore this message.

It may create problems in the future. Hence you get it clarified now itself so that you don't stand losing your passport.

It may be regarding the change in the address.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. This might be a technical mistake on behalf of the police;

2. You should still rectify the same;

3. Approach the grievance cell and file your grievance: https://portal1.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/ccgm/callCenterOnlineGrievance

4. You don't have much to worry about but do rectify the error/s.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer