• Regarding name change

I'm a government officer (class A) under Punjab government. I have also some agriculture land registered on my name. I want to change my name now. Once the name is changed in official gazette, can it cause problem in my government service as my current name is operating in all the documents whether academic or identity proofs. Also there is a case of property. Should i pursue to change my name. Can I get the service of any lawyer for this purpose. If so, what could be the normal fee of lawyer??
Asked 5 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

Dear Client,

You have to apply at collector office for name change, Once your application accepted and gazette notification issued and published in newspaper. Valid for all purpose, No issues.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21764 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can change name in official Gazette it will not affect your service or property. It's better to get a decree from court filing suit for declaration and direction to all concerned authority including in documents to change.your name accordingly. That way you can get all documents to.reflect your new name.

Lawyer fee will depend on the quality of lawyer you appoint.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Being a government servant it is not at all advisable to change name , more so, for the sake of any business venture or to avid any prosecution.

For normal anomaly in spelling of name or surname it is alright.

But do not alter your identity by change of name itself.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22526 Answers
436 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir you can change your name, for changing name you have to make an affidavit of name change then same change has to be published in two newspapers, further you have to compulsorily get it published in the Gazette Notification as your are central government employee so to effect name change in records gazette notification is required.

Yes you can engage a lawyer he shall charge a nominal fee for the purpose and further yo have to pay around 800 for gazettee notification vide DD to the Controller, Department of Publication Govt. Of India,

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Get your change of name notice published in two leading newspapers Hindi and English.

2. Approach the publication department of India and get your change of name notice publish in the gazette.

Engadge a lawyer he'll help you doing all the process

Ruchit Dugar
Advocate, New Delhi
190 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

Legal fees vary depending upon the Lawyer engaged by you

2) you can contact any local lawyer in this regard

3) Copy of O.M. No. 190016 / 1 / 87 - Estt. dated 12th March, 1987 from Department of Personnel and Training.

The Ministry of Home Affairs O.M.No. 67/274/48/Estts. dated 3rd November, 1948 as amended vide O.M. No. 87/52Estt. dated 24th March, 1952 lays down the procedure for change of name by Government employees. The Govt. recently had the occasion to review these instructions in the light of experience in certain cases. It was found that the instructions are in complete in so far as they do not cover certain situations. It has, therefore, been decided to adopt the following procedure in suppression of all previous orders on the subject.

I. All cases of addition/deletion or change in name/surname:-

i. A Govt. employee wishing to adopt a new name or to effect any notifications in his/her existing name may do so, formally by a deed changing his/her name. The sample deed form is enclosed.

ii. The execution of the deed should be followed by publication of the change in a prominent local newspaper as well as in the Gazette of India at the Govt employee’s own expense.

II. Addition/Change in surname only, on account of marriage, remarriage of a female Govt. employees.

i. If the Govt. employee desires a change, she should give a formal intimation to her appointing authority of her marriage and request for a change in her surname.

ii. Particulars of the husband may be given for making necessary entries in the Service Book.

III. Deletion of surname or reversion to maiden name on divorce/separation or death of the husband of female Govt. employee, change may be permitted if a female Govt. employee gives:-

i. An intimations to the appointing authority regarding change in marital status; and

ii. A formal request for reversion to her maiden name

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
91260 Answers
6802 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. You will need permission of court to change your name;

2. Since it could affect your government office you should engage services of a lawyer;

3. The fees would be within normal change, less than 12K.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


your name can be changed although it is a cumbersome procedure. engage a lawyer and he will do the needful.

the fee of a lawyer cannot be stated here as this is prohibited here.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13998 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have effected the change of name through government Gazette then you need not worry about it. You don't have to change any other document.

You may inform your office immediately

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
81439 Answers
1824 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer