• Agriculture land holding

Can a minor hold agriculture land in his name in the state of punjab? If yes , then how much? Also, are there any disparities in a bachelor ( unmarried) and a married person’s land holdings? Is it true that a bachelor cannot hold agriculture land upto the ceiling specified by the state of punjab?
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

Under the Punjab Land Reforms Act, 1972, which has been amended several times, a family unit (husband, wife, and children) cannot own more than 17.5 acres of fertile agricultural land having access to good irrigation facilities. However, the law also provides for an owner to hold up to 32 acres, if it is barren and without irrigation facilities.

2) minor can hold agricultural land in Punjab

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, a minor can hold the agricultural land, but she or he must have a representative to cultivate the same by themselves or by some other persons till the time she or he attains the age of majority.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

(1) Subject to the provisions of section 5, no person shall own or hold as landowner or mortgagee with the possession or tenant or partly in one capacity and partly in another in excess of the permissible area].

(2) `Permissible area’ shall mean in respect of –

(a) land under assured irrigation and capable of yielding at least two crops in ayear (hereinafter in this Act referred to as `the first quality land’) seven hectares; or

(b) land under assured irrigation for only one crop in a year, eleven hectares; or

(c) barani land, 20.5 hectares; or

(d) land of other classes including banjar land, and area to be determined accordingly to the prescribed scale with reference to the intensity of irrigation, productivity and soil classification of such classes having regard to the respective valuation and the permissible area of the classes of land mentioned at (a), (b) and (c), above [subject to the condition that the area so determined shall not exceed 21.8 hectares].

Every person, who on the appointed day or at any time thereafter, owns or holds land as landowner or mortgagee with possession or tenant or partly in one capacity and partly in another in excess of the permissible area, shall select his permissible area and intimate his selection to the Collectors concerned, through a declaration to be furnished in such form and manner and within such period as may be prescribed and if such person had an adult son, out of the land owned or held by him, subject to the condition that the land so selected together with the land already owned or held by such son, shall not exceed the permissible area of each such son:

Thus there is no provision separately for minor or bachelor for a separate ceiling.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

He can only buy on behalf of guardian who is major. The said facts are contrary to law.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27261 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Yes a minor can hold the land in state of Punjab.

Please check the below link to find your answer: https://www.hindustantimes.com/chandigarh/punjab-considers-liberalising-land-ceiling/story-SUP25Eq0dRUTItNBtbrXNK.html

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer