• Cancellation of election duty

My wife is pregnant of 8 months & her health is not so good.She is suffering from critical Scoliosis which made the pregnancy more critical. Election date is after 1month from now..by then she will be 9 months pregnant hence anything can happen at that time & she needs me medically..My question is can I cancel my election duty by citing this?
Asked 4 years ago in Constitutional Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

8 Answers

You can make representation to district election officer that wife would be 9 months pregnant at time of elections and henc your election duty may be cancelled . Enclose wife medical certificate about complications in her pregnancy

2) your application for exemption can be granted on humanitarian grounds .if your representation is rejected you would have to do election duty

3) if you refuse to do election duty FIR can be filed against you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should make a representation to authority sitting above reasons and medical report.

Not a big deal, election duty easily be postponed, Only some unmindful senior can reject the request, than approach administrative tribunal.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Yes you can apply to the authority and this is valid ground for cancellation of election duty. Make a representation before the authority in written application along with the medical certificate of wife the authority shall consider your request.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please apply along with medical certificate with the election commissioner office which is DM office of your district to get the election duty cancelled a copy of this application should be provided to the departmental head for the information

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


You may move a representation for cancellation of your duty and if the same is not allowed then move to the HC and file a writ of mandamus.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, cite this as a ground and move a representation before the concerned Authority.

If no decision is taken on your representation, approach the concerned High Court in this matter.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, you can and if they deny for the same please take them to court of law.

As it is quite normal for man to be there with his wife at this stage, and no work can stop him from doing the same.

You please take good take care of her.

God Bless You...!

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The election duty may be cancelled if a request along with the medical certificate to this effect is enclosed.

The authorities should not deploy her for election duty at all if they are aware of heer advanced stage of pregnancy.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer