• Seller is trying to sell me a plot which does not have a Land conversion certificate

Seller is having a land in panchayat located in Andhra Pradesh and he has separated them to various plots and he had already sold many plots in it. Seller is the first owner of this land. Some plot owners had already started building their homes in it. He is trying to sell me a plot. I asked him to show me the Land conversion certificate(changing the agricultural land to residence) but he said there is no need for any land conversion certificate since this is not a agricultural land. According to me, every land in india is agricultural land. He said there is nothing to worry everyone here had purchased the plots without the Land Conversion certificate and its common in this panchayat. He said you can convert the land later. My doubt is how come the government is allowing plots for registration even though the land is not converted to residence purpose and people who are buying this type plots are getting survey numbers and plot on their name. Plot owners are also getting approval for their house plan also. Can i buy this plot and later convert it to residence or only seller can convert it? I never purchased any property this is my first plot. Please suggest what to do.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Ask seller to convert agricultural land to NA then only purchase the land

2) don’t take the risk of investing your hard earned money in plot which does not have conversion certificate

Check the revenue records whether it is shown as agricultural land or not

Not every land in India is agriculture land, only mostly in rural areas.

U can check the use of land in the revenue records, JAMABANDI.

If it is Agriculture land than conversion is mandatory, and without conversion fragmentation of agriculture land is also prohibited,

So duly verify before purchase.

Cheque land revenue records whether the land is agriculture or not.

If in records it's shows it is NA then you can purchase it .

Further if the status is agriculture land then the seller has to make conversion by giving conversion duty .

Ask for certified copies of revenue records of said survey no. And khata number.

You may verify the land from the tehsil and the land record will have it's trail as well.

The maps can be approved by the approval authority irrespective of the land position.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra

1. IF the said Land (Agricultural or NA) falls within the Gram Panchyat (gaothan) area, THEN there is no need for conversion of Land. The Gram Panchayat office is empowered to levy House Tax, on any constructed structure, irrespective of whether legal or illegal. This House Tax levy, does not make anything as legal.

2. HOWEVER, irrespective of above, all construction activity (without any exceptions) does require the Town Planning /Collector office permission /approval, ELSE it will be prone to Notices /Demolitions in future.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hemant Agarwal

Dont take a risk of buying the plot which is not NA converted.

It will be problem worrying you forever.

Just because everyone is doing this mistake you need not follow their footsteps.

Better obtain a legal opinion before finalizing the deal.

You can verify the details from the tehsildar office or from the revenue department records about this.

You can easily find out by visiting the Thesildaar office of your area, ask them to show you the record follows by the property Khasra number.

You would get to know about the exact nature of the land.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi

You need to first find out whether the said land is agricultural or not. The procedure to buy agricultural land is different as per law. You can file RTI and find out the same in land department. You can later convert if you are buying the same legally and as per the Provisions of law.