• Revocation of general power of attorney

I wish to revoke two power attorneys given to my mother  aged 80 years , Indian Citizen, resident of Mumbai, Maharashtra State for more than 55 years. The first power of attorney is with regard to my property(flat)  at Mumbai and the second is with regard to my property ie agricultural land at Malwan, Sindudurg district, Maharashtra State.  

I usually reside in the USA as I have a job there and come to India every year. The first power of attorney was given while I was in the USA , The second power of attorney was given while I was in India. 

This is a general power of attorney in both the cases. I would like to know the legal procedure to go about this as soon as possible.  I would also like to know a competent attorney who will be able to take up this case at the earliest convenience, 

I reside at J.B.Nagar , Andheri(East), Mumbai, Maharashtra State,  I need this to be executed  by Monday , March 16, 2015  latest  as I will be travelling out of State.

Please email me at ngconsultingworldwide@hotmail.com 

Thank you.

Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
1) since GPA is not registered you can issue your mother notice for revocation of power of attorney . 

2) further publish public notice informing members of public that POA has been revoked .

3) if POA is registered then deed of revocation would be necessary
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45700 Answers
2688 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You are silent as to whether  the POA is registered or not.

2. if it is registered then you can revoke the same by a registered de3d of revocation only.

3. if it is not registered then you can cancel the same by way of notarised deed of revocation only.

4. in either of the cases it is advisable that you give a public notice by way of news paper advertisement.

5. If the POA s are done in India then revoke it while you are in india.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12884 Answers
166 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Had you registered those two GPAs?

2. If yes, then you shall have to execute & register  Cancellation Deeds duly cancelling the said two regstered GPAs,

3. If the said two GPAs are not registered, you shall have to send your mother legal notice duly cancelling the said two GPAs and publising the said two notices in two local Newspapers.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18535 Answers
449 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, if the General power of attorney is not registered one then issue legal notice for Revocation of Power of Attorney and thereafter same has to published in two leading news paper.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer