• Birth certificate wrong name

Hello, I have a birth certificate which has my wrong first name. All my other documents including passport, school leaving certificate, PAN, Aadhar, Voters ID have the correct name. The municipal authority has refused to change the birth certificate name. I do not wish to change my name via official gazette and I also don’t have any documents in the birth certificate name. What options do I have to get the correct name on birth certificate?
Asked 5 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

You need an order from jurisdiction magistrate first class for change in name of birth certificate based on other documents .

For mumbai it shall be the metropolitan magistrate of competent jurisdiction to order for correction in birth certificate.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If muncipal authorities has refused to rectify the error in first name on birth certificate file writ petition in HC to direct BMC to rectify the mistake in your first name in BC

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
91274 Answers
6807 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Good Evening,

You have to make an affidavit before a JM and the same has to be filed along with the erroneous birth certificate to the corporation .

Hope this helps.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2954 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

There are many instances where the spelling of name of name itself is different in various public documents including birth certificate.

Now if due to delay if the burth certificate can't be corrected then you will have to make an affidavit stating your actual name, get the affidavit affirmed by the Magistrate and then make a newspaper advertisement.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22526 Answers
436 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Usually while admission in school, verification for passport, the birth certificate is checked. Since you have said that all documents bears the correct name, therefore it won't be a problem for you because you don’t have any documents in the birth certificate name. Now if you want to do name correction for your birth certificate then you can do some minor changes because total changes is not permitted because the required authority may not grant to avoid risk of fraudulent application. So if you want to do some minor changes then you can approach the authority where your birth was registered and move an application for the correction of the same, stating the valid reasons that your name is __________ and the same is mentioned in all your identity documents, certificate,etc. And that is why you want to add the same in your birth certificate by correcting the birth certificate.

Moumita Mitra
Advocate, Kolkata
366 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to execute an affidavit before a 1st Class Judicial Magistrate affirming that inadvertently your father had recorded your wrong name in your birth certificate which is required to be corrected now by correcting the records since all your other documents bear your correct name.

2. Thereafter you shall have to apply before the Municipal Authority with the copy of the said affidavit who will be bound to correct your name in their records and issue fresh birth certificate.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26977 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Move an application for correction of your name on your birth certificate together with an affidavit stating you correct name.

If the needful is not done without your representation/application, file a writ of mandamus and seek a direction against the concerned registrar(death and birth) to do the needful for you.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9457 Answers
273 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You just have to fill the form for a ratifications in a birth certificate

A) For that approach your municipality or any other places as the case may be.,where the work of this is done.

B) You can go online also for the same.if service is provided.

C) Application must supported with documents.i.e doctor's certificate at the time of of born and parents I.d

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12734 Answers
225 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

you cannot say that you do not wish to change my name via official gazette. Name way there several ways ...








You can Apply For Maharashtra Gazette Notification Online Now for Name Change, Change of Surname etc

Now Gazette Notification for Name change id Just a Few Click Away. Get your Name Change done at ease online from anywhere ( Home / Office / Outdoor etc ). Now Running to local Government Gazette Office & Waiting Queue to get your Gazette Notification for Name Change & Others are OLD STORY & later Bigger Headache was the status Update & Delivery. Now registration for Name change in Gazette is Just few Minutes Job or Just a Call Away – ✆ [deleted] / [deleted] / [deleted]

We Ensure complete Assistance on Documentation & Makes Process Quick & Hassle Free. we offer complete guidance & Assistance at every steps, Kindly download the form

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6128 Answers
432 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Visit the BMC office and ask them correction in the name form that will be in a light grey color .

You fill up that form and take the signature of the tehsil daar or gazette officer and submit in the BMC office

They will Change


Adv Parwez Siddiqui

Fees : - 200

Parwez Ahmed Siddiqui
Advocate, Mumbai
2 Answers

4.0 on 5.0


File a declaration suit for the correction in name.

Thank You

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

It is better to made an affidavit regarding your name. Where you have to mention that the name which is in birth certificate and name in the documents are the same and one person

Bindu Gogoi
Advocate, Guwahati
75 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

How this error crept in and when did you find this error.?

What was the name given in school certificate?

You can make changes within three years in the birth certificate after becoming major.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
81456 Answers
1826 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can move to civil court fir the same and get directions for BMC to change in records

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
29605 Answers
121 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

The first name. On the birth certificate does not get changed. You can only do it through gazette

Anwar Zaidi
Advocate, Mira Bhayandar
231 Answers

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer