• Irrevocable power of attorney

My sister is a registered member of a matrimonial site and she got a call from a foreigner for marriage proposal who was a resident of uk and was on work visa in mumbai, india for a month. He was also a member of the same matrimonial site, after a month he borrowed a sum of 20000 from her as he was in short of money to get back to his country.

Now he wanted to return the borrowed sum and wants to invest money in India by sending money to her account.He asked for her bank details and also sent the following doc mail to be filled,attach and return it back.

Please look into the trailing mail. Is this a fraud case? Please help and reply.....!!!!

To,
Levin & Baldwin Solicitors,
201 Temple Square,
2 Dale Street,
Liverpool. L2 5RU.

ATTN: Michael Levin Esq,

RE: IRREVOCABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY.

Today, I (Name …………………………..), of (address ………………………………………………………………………………………………………..) give my Irrevocable power of attorney to Levin & Baldwin Solicitors to act as my attorney.

They have been briefed to stand on my behalf for the release of sum of Two Hundred & Fifty Thousand US dollars ($250, 000,00) money of my husband Investment business in India.

I am his wife (Mr. James Williams) and the only beneficiary of his fund lodged with the HSBC branch of 770/772 Bristol Road, South Northfield, Birmingham, West Midlands. B31 2NN. United Kingdom.

I shall be grateful if you can help me get this fund out as soon as possible. Attached herewith is a copy of my proof identity documents.

Yours faithfully,

( your name……………………… )

Signed …………………………….
Date ………………………………
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Pune, Maharashtra
refuse to sign the POA . your sister  may land in more trouble . based on POA her fiancee may do some transactions which which lend  your sister in deep trouble . just ask him to transfer funds directly to your sister account
I strongly suspect that he is scamper. 

Did you questioned him why he represents your sister (In POA) as his wife even through she is not yet married to him. And why is transferring $250, 000,00 through HSBC bank instead of Rs. 20,000/-. And what is this all about "my husband Investment business in India". Does she have any clue about his business?

Please do some google research about different types of Money laundering scams.

As Mr. Ajay Sethi said, ask him to to simple money transfer.
Under no circumstances your sister should sign the POA as by signing it she may find herself trapped neck deep in legal trouble. The POA signed by your sister may be used for carrying out some transactions which may expressly be prohibited by law. Even though the transactions will be conducted by him, but your sister will be held liable for same as she will be a signatory to POA. It may even form the basis of her conviction in a court of law. If she desires to recover the money she lent to him then she should require him to deliver it to her in cash, without taking recourse to Western Union, Bank transfer, etc.