• Investing in shares (govt employee)

I am a central govt emplyee. My gross annual salary is over 16 lack per anum as per 7th pay commission. Can I open my own demat account and invest in shares? I understand I am not allowed in trading. But am I allowed to buy shares through my own demat account, keep it for about 6 month to an year or so and sell?
Asked 4 years ago in Labour

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

Hi, you may invest in shares.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Investments in shares, debentures and mutual funds can be made by the Government servant. However "frequent buying and selling" of these are considered as "speculation" and is banned. Investment in shares, mutual funds etc are to be intimated to the Department at the end of every calender year as per the DoPT OM No. 11013/6/91-Estt. (A) dated 8.4.92 regarding CCS [Conduct] Rules, 1964Transactions in sale and purchase of shares and debentures etc.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) To save tax and invest in long term as per government rule, so you can purchase it and show it to Income tax declaration and get rebate on taxes. So you can Invest in shares.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You are at liberty to invest in shares open a demat account for investment purposes

You can sell your shares if you so desire

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87892 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You may make the investment in the shares and by and sell and can show the profit as your long and short term capital gains through your demat account.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

There is no restraint in investing in shares. debentures or mutual fund for an government employee.

However only thing while doing so is to declare those assets at the time of filing Income Tax Return .

So except to pay income tax there is no hindrance in investing shares by a government employee.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to understand the difference between trading and investing.

2. Being a Govt. employee, you can not engage yourself with any other business and trading of shares is a trading business.

3. Whereas investment in shares is absolutely permissible for the Govt Employees.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

It is not direct business and if you have any doubt then you may seek permission of your boss and after getting permission only you can start business in shares. Anyway you have to disclose all your income in your annual property assessment statements and IT returns. If your boss reject your proposal then you may approach High Court since the Constitution of India protects your right to privacy and business without effecting the present Central Government Service, since you are not doing the said business either part time or full time but being operated by your broker.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

There is no restriction to invest in the share market for long term or short term until and unless it is not a trading account.

Investment in shares and mutual funds are authorised and recognized rather encouraged by the government itself announcing various benefit schemes in mutual fund investment for the government employees.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78048 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Yes you can do the same.

there is no bar on you to invest your money.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer