• Capital gains tax exemption on joint holding

I have sold a property A which was in my individual name.

My father has sold another property B that was in his and my mother’s name.

Both above transactions resulted in long term capital gains.

Now me and my father want to purchase another residential property C. We will contribute exact amount of Sales proceeds from A and B to C.

Can we both get exemption from log term capital gains tax?

Please advise.
Asked 2 years ago in Taxation from Delhi, Delhi

Yes both of you may claim exemption from long term capital gain tax but the share of your mother with father if shares are not defined will also be liable for capital gain tax in 50:50 share.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6371 Answers
20 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can both get exemption from long term capital gains tax as capital gains have been invested in purchase of another residential flat

However your mother name should be reflected in purchase of another flat as otherwise she would have to pay capital gains tax on her share as she has not invested sale proceeds in purchase of another flat

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
74388 Answers
4450 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

By selling old property (Property A and Property B) your objective was not to earn income but to acquire another suitable Property C therefore, you are exempted from long term capital gains tax subject to fulfillment of certain conditions specified in Section 54 of Income Tax Act. The Conditions are:-

1. The benefit of Section 54 is available only to an individual or HUF.

2. The asset transferred should be a long-term capital asset, being a residential house property.

3. Within a period of one year before or two years after the date of transfer of old house, the taxpayer should acquire another residential house or should construct a residential house within a period of three years from the date of transfer of the old house.

Hope I have answered your query. Kindly rate the answer.

Anupam Kirti
Advocate, New Delhi
90 Answers
2 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Certainly, you need to establish that the sale proceeds of A&B has been channelized to buy C.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
1705 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The LTCG exemption is available to the owner and thus, as you and your father will be co-owner, both of you will get the exemption from long term capital gains tax if you both contribute an amount equallly. however only if the amount that is being invested in the purchase of residential property C equals or exceeds the long term capital gain earned by you and your father individually from the sale of A and B respectively, then only the full capital gains will be exempted from tax.

Shaveta Sanghi
903 Answers
103 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If both the property attracts long term capital gains, then this joint purchase of another residential property by investment from all the three will be eligible for long terms capital gains exemption under section 54 of IT act.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
64348 Answers
834 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You and your father can avail the exemption even if the property is purchased jointly.

2. However, your mother cannot claim exemption unless she is also a buyer. The sale deed can be registered in favour of all of you. Unless she is a buyer she cannot claim exemption. The purpose of section 54F is that new residential house need not be purchased by the assessee in her own name. A purposive construction is to be preferred as against a literal construction, more so when even applying the literal construction, there is nothing in the section to show that the house should be purchased in the name of the assessee only. As a matter of fact, Section 54F in terms does not require that the new residential property shall be purchased in the name of the assessee; it merely says that the assessee should have purchased "a residential house".

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
28564 Answers
835 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Yes, both of you can claim exemption. However, since property B was owned by your father and mother, property C will have to include your mother's name as well.


Keerthiga Sharma

M.Com., CA, LL.B

Keerthiga Sharma
Advocate, Greater Mumbai
44 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer